Sanyo 4912 gas-line help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakMajix

Reaction score
First let me say that I'm not the most handy person when it comes to cutting, drilling, etc. but generally I come out ok in the end. This is the first time I've ever kegged and have my first batch of all-grain beer currently fermenting and awaiting it's new home in the keggerator I'm building (allot of firsts in there!).

That said, I picked up a Sanyo 4912 and got everything I need to convert it to a keggerator and feel generally pretty confident after reading a gazillion tutorials about getting it converted. However, there's one sticking point for me that I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a dual regulator and I really want to put it on the outside of the fridge instead of trying to cram everything inside. I came across BierMuncher's setup for gas-lines (holes drilled through the compressor shelf) and am inspired to take the same route with my setup.

I'm a little nervous about making any more holes so before I make swiss-cheese out of my 4912 with a drill I wanted to ask...

1. Does it matter which way I drill the holes? Should I drill from the inside out or outside in? Does it matter? I want to make the holes as clean as possible.

2. Are there any "sensative" parts/lines, etc. that I need to be wary of if I'm drilling in that part of the fridge aside from what's visible in the compressor area?

3. Do I need to reinforce the holes with anything or can I just make holes and run the tubing through there?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide! :mug:

OK, BM is a great guy and all that, but I recommend you don't follow his instructions this time.

I do not like destroying new purchases either. Although I had to to put a tower on it.

I have my tank on the inside and place it on the drip pan shelf between the two cornies.

If you want your tank outside then I recommend you run 1 hose through the drip pan hole and put a splitter on it inside the fridge to go to 2 kegs.

I followed BierMuncher and drilled through the shelf. I didn't reinforce anything. I just drilled two holes the same size as the OD of my gas tubing. If you look at the back of the fridge you'll see that there is no insulation behind the shelf, so there is no room for refrigeration lines there. I personally drilled from the inside out because it would have been difficult to drill from the back without turning the fridge upside down (not a good idea).

I ran two gas lines in through the back of me Danby mini fridge (about the same size as your sanyo). I don't think it makes a difference which side you drill from, but there are ways to use caution. For instance, start with a small drill bit, maybe 1/4", and just slowly and barely drill through the metal (assuming you go from the outside in). Then, use a pick or awl and poke around in the foam in the hole. Try to feel for lines or wires. If the path is clear, move up to a bigger bit and repeat the process. Eventually you'll get all the way through. Slow and steady saves the fridge!

Of course, I was pretty confident that there wasn't going to be any plumbing or wiring in the upper most corner of the back of my fridge. I know nothing about the Sanyos.

I really like having the gas on the outside. the regulators are more accurate at ambient temperatures, not to mention a heck of a lot easier to monitor and adjust on the outside.

Also, I would recommend rubber grommets for isolating the tubing from the steel hole edges. They will also ensure a good air barrier.

homebrewer_99 said:
OK, BM is a great guy and all that, but I recommend you don't follow his instructions this time.

I do not like destroying new purchases either. Although I had to to put a tower on it.

I have my tank on the inside and place it on the drip pan shelf between the two cornies.

If you want your tank outside then I recommend you run 1 hose through the drip pan hole and put a splitter on it inside the fridge to go to 2 kegs.

I had originally considered going the drip pan route since it involved no extra drilling but didn't think it would be possible since I have a dual regulator (I have the one pictured in this link: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739). Wouldn't I have to run two lines inside even with a splitter since each regulator has it's own line? Unless I'm missing something? (very likely! lol )

drunkatuw said:
I followed BierMuncher and drilled through the shelf. I didn't reinforce anything. I just drilled two holes the same size as the OD of my gas tubing. If you look at the back of the fridge you'll see that there is no insulation behind the shelf, so there is no room for refrigeration lines there. I personally drilled from the inside out because it would have been difficult to drill from the back without turning the fridge upside down (not a good idea).

That definitely puts my mind more at ease. Did you use a spade bit for yours and did you have to drill through insulation that area? I know the outside area near the compressor has no insulation but I'm assuming there is some in there between the inner plastic lining and the metal outside?

Thanks!

BlakMajix said:
That definitely puts my mind more at ease. Did you use a spade bit for yours and did you have to drill through insulation that area? I know the outside area near the compressor has no insulation but I'm assuming there is some in there between the inner plastic lining and the metal outside?

Thanks!

I used a spade bit. There was no insulation where I drilled. Picture very similar to BierMuncher's:

IMG_0102_Custom_.JPG

drunkatuw said:
I used a spade bit. There was no insulation where I drilled. Picture very similar to BierMuncher's:

IMG_0102_Custom_.JPG

Looks great drunkatuw. Thanks for the help :mug:

BlakMajix said:
I had originally considered going the drip pan route since it involved no extra drilling but didn't think it would be possible since I have a dual regulator (I have the one pictured in this link: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739). Wouldn't I have to run two lines inside even with a splitter since each regulator has it's own line? Unless I'm missing something? (very likely! lol )
No, you didn't miss anything..I mistranslated...when you said a dual regulator I mistook it for dual gaged regulator...my bad.:D

I have my hose ordered and should have my tank setup outside the fridge by friday. I have the same setup as BlakMajix so I will be running 2 hoses in for a dual reg and was trying to see how I was going to accomplish this.

Thanks for the info from everyone on this one.

In order to keep the inside of my 4912 neat and tidy, I drilled a hole for the gas line through the back-upper-left corner of the fridge, and mounted a manifold in the inside (check-valves to be added whenever I make my next mcmaster purchase) via two bolts through the roof. It works perfectly.

When you are double-checking the over-the-top hot line, you can also feel the upper sides of the fridge. For my 4912, the upper 3inches were just fine (except where the pipe that goes over the top of the fridge went by, of course). To be extra certain, I first drilled just through the outer metal casing (go slow and you won't crash through the insulation when you break through the metal). Then I used a toothpick to stab the insulation to make sure there wasn't a line there that I couldn't feel. THen I finished up the hole, ran the line, and was all set!

I definitely like keeping the gas cyllinder on the outside... more space on the inside, easy to pick up the cyllinder to check its weight, and if I need it for something else, I don't have to open (and get nice wet air in) my fridge. And, of course, when I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger cyllinder, I don't have any space issues.

However you go, I definately would advocate for putting your CO2 outside.

Back