is my batch of beer screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey i made a batch of beer on sunday and when i got home today i found the air lock blown out of the carboy and the rubber piece that the air lock was in ... now it could have been out from 9-24 hours .. is there a chance the beer will still be ok?

Yeah your screwed. No not really, it should be fine. If the fermentation is such that it is blowing stuff out then it shouldn't let anything in. Maybe you should look into a blow off tube instead of an airlock.

more than a chance. just keep an eye on it, but don't stress too badly. worse things have happened to beer, and a good number of people in the world still do open fermentations.

I think the Only way to tell is to sanitize the airlock Pop it back in - Let it ferment out ..Then pray it will be ok!

It will be fine. Think of the amount of offgassing that must be taking place to blow the airlock off. No way anything got IN during that time.

RDWHAHB

I had two airlocks blow out on New Years Eve 2010 and I have NO Idea how long they had been off. The fermentation was going insane so I put them in my shower (at about 10, if that tells you anything). Cleaning ESB and Porter off of the ceiling in the morning was fun... No harm done - sanitized the airlocks and popped them back on and they both turned out fine.

Yes, you should be okay. Clean it up and attach a blow off tube, or put the airlock back on and keep your eye on it. Since the yeasts are still blowing off steam as it were, there might have been too much outgoing pressure for anything to have gotten in. Two caveats; I'm not a scientist (You might have guessed that by my overly technical explaination), schist happens.

Back