A New One in Baltimore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmorebrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to brewing, got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, it had extract enough for 4 brews. I made the first two, not bad, not that great. Used the last two at once, almost ready to drink. Planning on making my first extract/PM batch tomorrow and my first AG Saturday. Its taken me about a month to accumulate and build everything necessary for AG, but I think I'm ready.

I'm a chemist by trade, I deal with drinking water for a local utility, so it figures brewing was only a matter of time. I'm sure I'll be looking for a bit of advice here and there, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute my fair share as well.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site! I live in Bel Air, but work for a rather large water & sewer utility in Laurel. What utility are you with?

Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry, I can't help you with Baltimore City water - my utility covers PG and Montgomery counties.

For now I'm using bottled spring water without issue.

You'll have to ask BmoreBrew, he's the chemist. I'm a mere computer programmer, and know nothing of such things.

Municipal water is uncompromisingly safe - for me the concern is with residual chlorine. Generally speaking, residual chlorine is usually in the range of 1 or 2 parts per million. This is a very minute amount, but there are compounds that can be formed in-situ which contribute off-tastes to the beer because they have taste thresholds well down into the ppb range (1000 times less than ppm). Here is a related, albeit technical article.

You can buy bottled spring water, boil your water the day before, or use Campden tablets to combat this.

Back