Food store honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm doing a honey oat stout that requires like 3.75 lbs of honey. Would regular honey that you buy at the grocery store do just fine or should I go to a brew store for it?

Hey all, I'm doing a honey oat stout that requires like 3.75 lbs of honey. Would regular honey that you buy at the grocery store do just fine or should I go to a brew store for it?

I would find a local beekeeper or get something decent from the brew store. Grocery store honey has a less interesting flavor.

I would find a local beekeeper or get something decent from the brew store. Grocery store honey has a less interesting flavor.

That is true. But for a honey oat stout, I think the delicate flavor would be covered up by the heavier flavored grains anyway. I'd go with whatever is cheapest for you- the honey will ferment out, leaving very little flavor behind but boosting alcohol and thinning the body.

I was looking for some cheap table honey for cooking and actually found like clover honey and basswood honey, etc at the grocery store, so I would take a look they might have the good stuff around as well.

As far as the density of honey goes, it is about the same as LME? I don't have a scale but my can of LME says 3.3 lbs so I can just guesstimate with the can if both honey and LME are around the same density.

As far as the density of honey goes, it is about the same as LME? I don't have a scale but my can of LME says 3.3 lbs so I can just guesstimate with the can if both honey and LME are around the same density.

I doubt it. You probably need to use a scale. You can find one for under $20 or so.

It should say how much it weighs on the package of honey. All the honey I've bought lists it by weight, not by volume.

The honey I get from my local guy is quite a bit cheaper than the stuff from the grocery store. I do buy it in bulk though. That little of an amount in a beer you probably won't be able to tell a difference, so just use whatever is cheapest. If you were doing a mead and the honey was the primary fermentable/flavoring I would say go for the most raw you can so you get all the flavor complexity out of it.

i agree wiht yooper and tonedef. if you were making a honey blonde or pale then i would use the good stuff. i have made honey pale ales with both cheap costco honey and really good farmers market local stuff, and would have to say the local raw wins every time.

Back