fermenting in bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artbrewer

Reaction score
i was told by a reliable source, to not use a plastic bottling bucket for fermenting, because the spigot is hard to clean and could cause infection,
any ideas, opinions, etc appreciated.

you can do it if you are desperate for fermenters, I mean, cleaning the spigot after fermentation can't be too much different than cleaning it out between bottling batches...

Some people who have those actual fermenters that have spigots (I think the Williams Kits) sanitize their spigot inside and out, then put a plastic baggy over it a hold it in place with a couple of rubber bands.

Fermenters are so cheap though, especially bucket types, that I would just get an extra bucket and ferment in there and keep my bottling bucket dedicated to that purpose (which also means not using it to clean/soak equipment in either.)

I have 2 buckets and one 6 gallon better bottle that I ferment in. 2- 5 gallon and 2 3 gallon carboys as clearing tanks (A mixture of glass and bb's) a bottling bucket and 2 soy sauce buckets that I use for all cleaning/sanitizing needs. Buckets are nice becasue they stack.

I do it all the time and it works fine, it's nice when it come time to rack it. But yeah, I only ever do it when I am completely out of fermenter.

I considered doing that once, but my plastic spgot leaks occaisionally ... not worth the effort, so I bought 2 more plastic buckets ..

I've done it many times, and used to advocate it as a good practice. Then one day I was carrying my freshly filled bucket, and bumped the spigot into a door jamb...suddenly my Old Speckled Hen clone was pouring onto the floor! For a moment I thought I was going to have to plunge my hand and arm into the wort to tighten the spigot, but thankfully I managed to reseal it from the outside and only lost a pint or so.

I switched to 6 gallon better bottles with my next batch, and have been VERY happy with them.

Spigot sanitation is a non-issue, in my opinion. They are easy to dismantle and clean thoroughly. The greater risk is leakage.

i'm not a fan of it, but if you do go that route make sure the spigot is up high enough so you're not dumping half the yeast cake into secondary (or during bottling).

I've fermented in my bottling bucket before. Just gotta remember if the spigot is OPEN or CLOSED when racking the wort into it.

Back