1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that feeling.....i dont want to go to work tomorrow. short weeks for holidays really screw us. and the week after the holiday i only have a 3 day week because of vacation time i need to use

cheesecake said:
I know that feeling.....i dont want to go to work tomorrow. short weeks for holidays really screw us. and the week after the holiday i only have a 3 day week because of vacation time i need to use

This will probably be the longest the day week ever

brewday sucked today. i started brewcasting no one came in but other then that i had spilled some wort from the mash tun causing my gravity to come in a bit low because i had to make up for it with more water. I have a crap ton of cold break in my fermenter i forgot i used whirlfloc and now it looks funny but im annoyed with all the trub. I Think im going to start aiming for 1.25 gallons of finished beer and transfer off the top of the kettle so i can leave the trub behind.

How long are you letting it sit in the primary? I've started pouring the whole kettle into my primary so all the cold and hop trub right in. Saturday I bottled and when I racked to my bottling bucket the beer had cleared and the yeast and trub was packed down on the bottom of the primary so very little made it to the bottling bucket.

Side note: I used my regular bottling bucket for bottling a 1 gallon batch. It work fine but I may make a 2-gallon bottling bucket.

Damn first time ever in a year brewing I had my stopper/blow off tube pop off of my primary. Made a hell of a mess in my fridge fermentation chamber. It was only off for several hours so I Starsan sprayed the stopper and the mouth of the gallon jug and plugged it back up so I'm hoping that I didnt get an infection. Crap is every where lol. I have my blow off tube going into a plastic gallon milk jug so I have no idea how the back pressured happened unless the tube sucked on the side of the milk jug.

brewday sucked today. i started brewcasting no one came in but other then that i had spilled some wort from the mash tun causing my gravity to come in a bit low because i had to make up for it with more water. I have a crap ton of cold break in my fermenter i forgot i used whirlfloc and now it looks funny but im annoyed with all the trub. I Think im going to start aiming for 1.25 gallons of finished beer and transfer off the top of the kettle so i can leave the trub behind.

sounds like you had your hands full... but at least you were home brewing and not workin', or doing chores.

anyway, have a good week.

How long are you letting it sit in the primary? I've started pouring the whole kettle into my primary so all the cold and hop trub right in. Saturday I bottled and when I racked to my bottling bucket the beer had cleared and the yeast and trub was packed down on the bottom of the primary so very little made it to the bottling bucket.

Its mostly bothering me because its taking up valuable fermenter space. I wish i got a picture of the trub from using the whirlfloc. It was the whole thing i know after fermentation it will compact down but its still annoying to me.

sounds like you had your hands full... but at least you were home brewing and not workin', or doing chores.

anyway, have a good week.

brewing always involves chores...."if your going to be brewing you can be doing some laundry or cleaning up".....thats what i normally hear on brewdays:cross:

Just brewed 2 simultaneous small batches last night, both hoppy brown ales. One with all Columbus in the boil and one with all Centennial. Gonna dry hope them both with some Amarillo...can't wait to see the flavor profile difference!

Just brewed 2 simultaneous small batches last night, both hoppy brown ales. One with all Columbus in the boil and one with all Centennial. Gonna dry hope them both with some Amarillo...can't wait to see the flavor profile difference!

I was thinking of doing a brown ale soon, what yeast did you end up using?

The one I did was a long time ago and I think I used cooper's ale yeast, as per Palmer's recipe, and it came way too fruity.

Brewed my one gallon American wheat from nb last night. Had a slight accident, was my first with dme and it foamed up and out when I added it while it was boiling... I added it slow and stirred it a lot. This normal or did I do something off?

No its normal, once the sugar gets in[ thats what malt extract is is malt sugars], it boils over quite rapidly.
My normal methodd now is to obly add a small amount of malt extract during the boil, to help extract the hop flavors and the rest at flameout, but as allways ymmv. I find it reduce the off flavors associated with extract, and reduces the chance of a boilover

Brewed my one gallon American wheat from nb last night. Had a slight accident, was my first with dme and it foamed up and out when I added it while it was boiling... I added it slow and stirred it a lot. This normal or did I do something off?

Also, you can remove the pot from the heat source and then add DME. You'll still need to watch it when you resume heating the wort but the major chance should be past.

What would happen if I used hot tap water an added my dried malt extract. Then brought that to a boil. Would that prevent of a boil over if I done it that way

When I fisrt started my kits said to add dme pre boil to hot water, it didnt boil over as much as adding during the boil, but it did make some off flavors and can be scorched if not stirred enough. I also had problems getting it to drop below 1.020 leaving it kinda sweet

This is a long thread but I have a 1 gallon BBS kit that I've already used to brew an Everyday IPA which is going to get bottled soon. I'm not sure if I want to buy another BBS kit, and thinking of brewing a 1 gal batch of Hefeweizen which ideally would have liquid yeast. The issue is that I'm not entirely sure they have liquid yeast in packages made for 1 gal batches; I know they have 'em in dry packaging though. Is there something similar for liquid yeast? I'll stop by my LHBS later today to ask but wondering if there's any out there.

This is a long thread but I have a 1 gallon BBS kit that I've already used to brew an Everyday IPA which is going to get bottled soon. I'm not sure if I want to buy another BBS kit, and thinking of brewing a 1 gal batch of Hefeweizen which ideally would have liquid yeast. The issue is that I'm not entirely sure they have liquid yeast in packages made for 1 gal batches; I know they have 'em in dry packaging though. Is there something similar for liquid yeast? I'll stop by my LHBS later today to ask but wondering if there's any out there.

I have just pured in a third of the container and recapped it and put it in the fridge, I had no problem.

BTW BBS has a book of 52 [I think] 1 gallon batch recipies, it seems it even has some seasonals. Might well be worth a look, if one has the extra cash

I have just pured in a third of the container and recapped it and put it in the fridge, I had no problem.

BTW BBS has a book of 52 [I think] 1 gallon batch recipies, it seems it even has some seasonals. Might well be worth a look, if one has the extra cash

Try using the MrMalty Yeast Calculator for pitching volumes. I know the age of the yeast and OG will determine how much liquid yeast to use.

Of course when I plan to use liquid yeast, I plan to do the same as Huntingohio says...use part of the vial and recap for later.

The one I did was a long time ago and I think I used cooper's ale yeast, as per Palmer's recipe, and it came way too fruity.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, other than to point out that BOTH your primaries are empty according to your signature. That's a traveshamockery! Get brewin!

:mug:

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, other than to point out that BOTH your primaries are empty according to your signature. That's a traveshamockery! Get brewin!

:mug:

Its true, if you looked up "traveshamockery" in the dictionary you'd see my empty carboys....

Its in there somewhere, just keep looking! :mug:

@bleme & Cheesecake

Have you guys used Nottingham recently? I was put off it by people reporting strange aromas and off flavors this summer, but I admit I haven't used it yet. Perhaps, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

After two months of brewing pale ales and wheats, I'm thinking of doing a few batches of something diff, too,

Deciding between a couple variants of brown ale, or maybe porter.

cheesecake said:
Thanksgiving brewday.....Woohoo I love paid holidays. I may brew a barleywine.....or a RIS......hmm or maybe both

Funny you should say that, have everything ready for an English barleywine and its looking like I'm going to be brewing sometime Thanksgiving day.

@bleme & Cheesecake

Have you guys used Nottingham recently? I was put off it by people reporting strange aromas and off flavors this summer, but I admit I haven't used it yet. Perhaps, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Im still going threw older packs that i had. I have a buddy who has been using newer packs without any issues and he doesnt control ferm temps at all

Funny you should say that, have everything ready for an English barleywine and its looking like I'm going to be brewing sometime Thanksgiving day.

Is that going to be a 1 gal batch?
I was thinking of doing one soon but would prolly have to bump up the og with DME. I dont think I could hit it with BIAB.

As for the yeast questions I have been usin us 05 and kepping my indoor temps at 65, I have gotten no off flavors as lonng as I let it sit for a week or so after fermentation. So far its done a braggot, cyser, irish red [more of a brown] . and a melomel. Keeping the abv at something sane like 6-8% it seems super versititile and keeps well as a house strain.I discovered it back during the notty shortage.

What would happen if I used hot tap water an added my dried malt extract. Then brought that to a boil. Would that prevent of a boil over if I done it that way
Probably. There are 2 physical effects of adding a granulated sugar of any kind to a water base. First is an increase in viscosity as the sugar enters solution. That isn't usually a problem when making beer as the increase isn't enough to increase the duration of the bubble to the point of boil over. The second, is that each grain is going to provide a nucleation point for a bubble. That means it's much easier for bubbles to form until the solids have dissolved.

Dissolving the DME, or any other sugar, into water before it's added to the main solution will eliminate the presence of the the extra nucleation sites. That should solve the boil over problem.

It's also worth mentioning that DME, like every other dry sugar, is so hydroscopic it's probably pulled the water out of any nasties that have gotten into it and killed them. That means it isn't really necessary to boil the DME. Adding it to a warm solution just makes it easier to dissolve it into the wort.

Happy brewing. :mug:

huntingohio said:
Is that going to be a 1 gal batch?
I was thinking of doing one soon but would prolly have to bump up the og with DME. I dont think I could hit it with BIAB.

Thank you, I knew I forgot something yesterday. It's going to be 4.75# of grain, 5oz of dextrose and then I was going to keep a pound of Dme on hand to adjust and forgot to grab that yesterday. Good thing I picked up that shift today so I can just get it then. I'm aiming for 1.105 ish on it.

Hey folks. In case you need a christmas gift for anyone we are running a Black Friday special on our Small Batch Beer Making Kits. 20% off for Friday only. Also, everyone keep up the great content here...and I love all the pictures!

gwdraper4 said:
Hey folks. In case you need a christmas gift for anyone we are running a Black Friday special on our Small Batch Beer Making Kits. 20% off for Friday only. Also, everyone keep up the great content here...and I love all the pictures!

And what website is this

Started a one gallon barleywine. Got a mash and starter today and tomorrow I'm doing the rest of the mash and boiling.

That because small batch guys dont have to spend 8 hours brewing a batch, find storage for bulky equipment, have a nice varied pipline,or hav to deal with bottling 2 + cases in a run.

Makes life easier. I'm never planning on going back to 5 gal unless its for a batch of gift wines or something.

Back