First Brew Tastes Diltued

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished brewing my first batch, and although the process seemed to go as planned, the beer tastes diluted. I was hoping to get some suggestions on what would cause the lack of flavor.

I brewed the American Wheat Ale extract kit from Northern Brewer. The only flag for me on the kit was that fermentation was done in only a handful (4) days. OG was 1.040 and SG is 1.010. This is what was to be expected. Although it looked like the fermentation was done, I left the brew in the carboy for another week, just in case.

I conditioned the brew in bottles, which seem to have carbonated well. Everything went according to plan, which is why I am wondering why the brew tastes more like water than anything else.

Based on the gravity, it would seem like I got the appropriate amount of sugars out of the extract syrup. I just can't figure out why there isn't much flavor.

Thoughts?

You didn't mention it but I'm guessing it hasn't been in the bottle very long? Many beers taste watery before they are properly conditioned. Try one again after it's been in the bottle for at least 3 weeks and I'll bet it doesn't taste watery.

kingbrian is right, it will continue to improve with age, although wheat beers are supposedly better "young", but don't put too much stock in that. american wheat beers in general don't have quite as much flavor as some, but it should still have more than a watery taste to it. were you trying to crash chill a beer to taste or something? a good 24-48 hrs in the fridge is a good practice for properly conditioned beers before tasting.

Latest posts

Back