So my "how's this pot?" thread got me thinking....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injendsm

Reaction score
...that I'll go the turkey fryer route with my brewing. It'll allow my wife to do her womanly duty of cooking while I brew:D & rid the possibility of her complaining of any potential bad smells. I took a quick look on Amazon and found this:

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 3066A 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer Kit: Home & Garden

It looks like a good one to me, only $66, comes with a 30qt pot, and I remember seeing Bayou Classic mentioned in another thread on here a while back as a good brand of turkey fryer. What do you guys think?

I hate to keep asking these questions but I figure I might as well ask the experts before shelling out the cash so thanks again for helping me to this point and thanks in advance for helping me with any other questions I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you planning on doing all grain? If so I would look for something more like 40 quarts to have enough room to boil (comfortably) 7+ gallons.

GT

Are you planning on doing all grain? If so I would look for something more like 40 quarts to have enough room to boil (comfortably) 7+ gallons.

GT

Even if going AG you can make a keggle for your boils at a later date and use the turkey fryer pot for heating strike water etc. :)

I bought 60 qt aluminum pot from a restaurant supply store. It was $100. It's really heavy gauge. At first I kinda regretted getting it so big. Then I read a few posts, other folks were using this size for 5gal batches. Well this weekend I did my 2nd all grain batch in it. I was able to collect 8 gallons , and it boiled down to 5.5 in 1.5 hours. My OG was spot on, and I never had to worry about boil over. It was so unstressful. I was on the couch most of the brewing time.

I bought that same pot and burner when wife said "Get that stinky stuff out of the house!" That was about a year ago too. Used if for extract and steeping. Went AG and STILL used it, just watched it like a hawk, put a fan facing the top and sprayed it with water to keep boilovers down. Also continuously added wort as boiloff occured.

Even if going AG you can make a keggle for your boils at a later date and use the turkey fryer pot for heating strike water etc. :)

Used my new boil kettle this weekend and did just that! Original pot is now HLT!

So, yes it's a workable pot and burner. Issues: Very limit of size to be able to brew AG. Burner won't work with pots of larger diameter without some heavy mods, or very careful placemnt of pot.

GT

Right now AG is just a possibility. I'm going to start slow with the recipe kits from Midwest and go from there. If I get to the point where I don't think that pot suits my needs, I'll upgrade, but $66 is pretty good considering the pot I was going to get was $50. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Latest posts

Back