Growing hops in Philly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brennanj11

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My friend is entrusting me with his 3 yr old rhizomes (Cascade, Chinook, Columbus) in a few weeks. Here is a picture of my patio and raised flower beds.
patio.jpg

I need help with vine placement, spacing and anticipated structure. I need someone with similar spatial constraints and has made these vertical vines look nice. It would be nice to have a natural canopy of vines (think pergola) for some shade.
As you'll see I will have some competing grape vines to deal with, but I am thinking I can stick two plants on the far-right wall (most sunlight).
I could plant two 10' poles w/ some wire attached and train the bines straight up.
I also have some ideas of utilizing that utility pole that is currently being occupied by the grape vine.

Keep us posted what u come up with id like to see it. Im thinking saomething similar in my back patio.

Back