What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewed a hope to be fantastic Pumpkin ale! Home by myself today and I must say it was awesome brewing alone in the piece and quiet!!

It's not beer, but I grabbed a couple gallons of local apple cider, dumped it into a fermenter and pitched some Wyeast 1469 that I had sitting in the fridge from a previous batch.

This is my first time making hard cider, so I wanted to just stick with the cider itself without any added sugar or other ingredients. The OG was 1.046, so it should come out to a respectable ABV by the time I pour it into a glass. I'm guessing it'll ferment out pretty dry (maybe down to 1.000 to 1.002), which would put it around 5.5% ABV or higher.

Woot!

It's not beer, but I grabbed a couple gallons of local apple cider, dumped it into a fermenter and pitched some Wyeast 1469 that I had sitting in the fridge from a previous batch.

This is my first time making hard cider, so I wanted to just stick with the cider itself without any added sugar or other ingredients. The OG was 1.046, so it should come out to a respectable ABV by the time I pour it into a glass. I'm guessing it'll ferment out pretty dry (maybe down to 1.000 to 1.002), which would put it around 5.5% ABV or higher.

Woot!

Keep us posted!

Bottled almost 100 beers. IPA, hefeweizen, and hefeweizen with cascade dry hop.

Removed labels from snd scrubbed 2 cases of bottles I got off craigslist. 2 cases down. 4 to go.

Bottled almost 100 beers. IPA, hefeweizen, and hefeweizen with cascade dry hop.

I dry hoped a hefe with Citra a few months back. It was decent, but way too much. I probably won't do it again with Citra. (2 oz dry hop for 10 gal batch). YMMV

Interested in hearing how the cascade went. Keep us posted. I think it would go better than Citra

Cheers

Today I purchased a book called "How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time " by John J. Palmer. I am going to read few pages of it.

Cleaned up this mess that I came home to after a weekend away.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411340016.565510.jpg

I dry hoped a hefe with Citra a few months back. It was decent, but way too much. I probably won't do it again with Citra. (2 oz dry hop for 10 gal batch). YMMV

Interested in hearing how the cascade went. Keep us posted. I think it would go better than Citra

Cheers
I had an extra oz of Cascade sitting around and wanted to do something different with half the Hefeweizen batch. So it was 1 oz for 2.5 gal. From the uncarbed sample it smelled and tasted great. I was surprised how good in fact. It's a Bavarian style Hefe with a good amount of clove and banana notes, but the cascade added a bit of freshness that I think will work well.

I'll check back in a week or two on how it turns out carbed.

On a sad note: pretty sure I screwed up bottling my IPA out of the keg. There's very little carbonation, more along the lines of an English pale ale (slightly flat). I guess I need to up the pressure a bit more when using the ghetto beer gun (this was my first attempt).

Today I am brewing up a sour golden ale (I have to stop calling it a golden sour, sounds too close to golden shower). Waiting for it to boil right now, 3203 is already primed up and ready to pitch.

Removed labels from the last 4 cases of bottles today. Also repurposed a $5 garage sale baby changing table to be able to store cases of bottles on.

Bottled 40 pomegranate cream ale. Cleaned everything up and now I'm staring at my burner debating if I want to stay awake and brew my pumpkin beer.

Brewed a 6 g AG batch if New Albion Ale w/ my daughter using Cascade whole leaf hops. Also racked 6 g of single hop (Sylva) IPA to secondary & dry hopped w/ 2 oz of Sylva.
Lastly, cleaned up almost my equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also put twist locks on my chuggers and put together my MM2 with the stainless rollers. The twist locks are huge because I got the 30A 125v plugs/receptacles, not entirely on purpose, but it works.

chugger pumps.jpg

monster mill.jpg

Found out that I actually DON'T have a stuck fermentation on my winter amber! It's down to 1.018. I also taste tested it--it's going to be a winner.

Added 6 pounds of mashed blueberries to my wheat base. My wife has been bugging me for a re-brew for 3 years now and I finally caved. i mixed it up quite a bit from my last recipe though, so I hope she still likes it.

Pulled my bucket o brew out of the fermentation chamber in order to come up to room temp for bottling.

Racked my pumpkin saison to secondary. Went to my friends house who just brewed his first batch and helped him rack his batch to secondary.

Bottled my Munich Helles.
And prepped my submissions to the Dixie cup. My first competition, a bit nervous but it'll be useful.

1411612635192.jpg

I bought the bag, grain, hops and yeast for my first BIAB. First AG, actually. And a pair of insulated rubber gloves on the recommendation of a fellow forumite. I also mentioned to SWMBO how cheap it was to brew AG. Several times. I also offered to let her smell the bag of grain, but she declined. Wine drinker.

I bought the bag, grain, hops and yeast for my first BIAB. First AG, actually. And a pair of insulated rubber gloves on the recommendation of a fellow forumite. I also mentioned to SWMBO how cheap it was to brew AG. Several times. I also offered to let her smell the bag of grain, but she declined. Wine drinker.

Make some bread with the spent grain, if she's anything like my fiancee, she'll beg you to do it every time.

Moved 6 gal batch of single hop IPA to 2 kegs for conditioning.
Moved kegs of ESB & Saison to lager chamber for cold crash.
Cleaned keg & washed carboys & transfer equipment.

Got some great advice on HBT about glycerol and "how to" on using the freezer compartment of my kegerator to house a coolant tank for my "in the mail" 7 gallon chronical fermenter with FTSS, courtesy of SS Brewtech. I began the build for a custom tank to fit in the freezer to maximize the space available.

Cleaned two cases of bottles.

Ordered some how-to books for home brewing.

------

Bottled: Scotch Ale, Belgian Tripel, Red Ale
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Kegged: Pumpkin Spiced Porter, Belgian Tripel
Tomorrow: English Red Hopped Ale

I'm finally getting back to homebrewing after an almost 2-year hiatus. Cleared off my workbench in the garage today, which is where I'll be mashing this time around since we just got rid of the old cabinet I was using last time.

Today I bottled 5 gallons of Scottish Ale, got everything I need for the next batch and did my first ever yeast starter on a DIY stir plate.

Today, I replaced my old vinyl lines, with the bev seal barrier tubing. I struggled with the 1/4in. fittings, for awhile, but eventually got them all on. I know about the john guest QD's, just haven't bought any yet. Strongly considering it, though.

Besides that, I also took apart, and cleaned, all the nooks and cranny's, in my perlick faucet. And tapped into a fresh keg of Pale Ale. Quite refreshing! :mug:

Racked the Porter to secondary and added the Bourbon soaked Oak cubes. It's gonna be a long month.

Back