Sam Adams Alpine Spring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like the new Alpine Springs, but something really needs to be done about breweries releasing seasonal beers too soon. Spring starts late March, so did Sam Adams really need to get their spring beer to market in early January? Then come March, Sam Summer will be out.

Come March I'll already be in the pool. Bring on the SN Summerfest.

I just bought a 12 pack sampler that had the Alpine Spring in it... Have not tried it yet however, I am loving the Whitewater IPA... never had a wheat IPA before

I find the Noble Pils comment to be odd considering it has garnered multiple threads on this site about how good it is. Noble Pils is one of the best pilsners I've ever had when fresh.

Agreed x1000000. Love me some noble pils! In fact I have been tracking this thread and also talk over on BA to see whether the Alpine Spring was worth replacing my annual purchase of a couple cases of NP. I dont think it is, maybe I'll try to find a sixer somewhere.

BTW is Noble Pils now year round>? I dont remember seeing it the last time I was at the distributor.

Went to Applebees for a beer because I had hoped they had something different than the usual stuff at BW3. They had this stuff called "Alpine Spring" on a tap.

I asked the bartender what it was and she said it was like Oberon, but she actually liked this better. What the heck I thought, Oberon is not out yet, I'll give it a try!

It was damn good! Very close to Oberon. Maybe not quite as hoppy and a small bit more drinkable. If they can sell this in the "off-season", Oberon fans should be pleased.

Probably some flaked wheat in the grain bill and definitely no finings.

Ya I just had this last night at a bowling alley. It was ok. I think they may have thrown some flour in there or something. This place was keeping the beer at 32 and and was still greatly cloudy... If somone wants to leave a bottle in the fridge for a month they can see if the yeast drops or not.

the yeasty-ness and citrus from the hops make it taste kinda like a hef made with a lot of pilsner. Just my .02

Didn't think much of the alpine spring. But I do like the IPA and mighty oak ale. I'd like to have a stab at brewing their mighty oak ale - it reminds me quite a bit of some of the pub bitters back in the UK.

Wow, big thread,I enjoyed this on tap and bottle.Part of the small batch series.Small batch(really?) this was at my local Applebees.Enjoyed it on tap.I liked the (not lattitude) other ipa they had it was a wheat surprisingly-decent also.
I thought the alpine was a good interpetation of spring also.

I do like the new Alpine Springs, but something really needs to be done about breweries releasing seasonal beers too soon. Spring starts late March, so did Sam Adams really need to get their spring beer to market in early January? Then come March, Sam Summer will be out.

Right. SN Ruthless is suppose to be a spring release.Released in January?Winter release to me. Rediculous.Just like buying Christmas supplies after Holloween.

We actually have Alpine Spring here on base in Okinawa, which is amazing. I picked up a sixer yesterday... not a bad brew.

Full disclosure: I like big beers like stouts and IPAs and I am not a Sam Adams hater and rarely drink any Sam Adams (just no reason to drink it when you live in Beervana). I had a bottled Alpine Spring (in the gimmicky Sam Adams glass) at a restaurant the other day and boy was I disappointed. It had a nice subtle aroma, but the first two sips had virtually no taste at all - less than water, even. I hadn't eaten anything, so I know my taste buds were no more screwed up than normal.

I had a bottle with dinner the other night. It was served in the Sam Adams gimmicky glass and had almost no taste at all. In fact, the first few sips had less taste than water. Some taste after the first few sips, but nothing that stood out, no malts, no hops. Sam Adams' web site describes it as "the perfect transition from winter’s heavier brews to the lighter beers of summer." I call BS. If it tasted any lighter it wouldn't be beer.

Full disclosure: I rarely drink Sam Adams, but I have nothing against it. It's just that I live in Beervana, so there is no need to buy Sam Adams with all of the local craft beer available. I also like big beers like imperial IPAs and stouts. I did not expect Alpine Spring to taste like a big beer, but it would have been nice if it had a little more to offer.

I had a bottle with dinner the other night. It was served in the Sam Adams gimmicky glass and had almost no taste at all. In fact, the first few sips had less taste than water. Some taste after the first few sips, but nothing that stood out, no malts, no hops. Sam Adams' web site describes it as "the perfect transition from winter’s heavier brews to the lighter beers of summer." I call BS. If it tasted any lighter it wouldn't be beer.

Full disclosure: I rarely drink Sam Adams, but I have nothing against it. It's just that I live in Beervana, so there is no need to buy Sam Adams with all of the local craft beer available. I also like big beers like imperial IPAs and stouts. I did not expect Alpine Spring to taste like a big beer, but it would have been nice if it had a little more to offer.

How cold was it? did you let it warm up? I thought it was pretty flavorful myself.

I'm usually not a fan of Sam Adams, but i really enjoyed this on tap at a local watering hole. Creamy, smooth, but with just enough citrus bite to make it interesting.

Everything is water when youve been on a big beer kick.Youve got to re-paletize.
Definatly was not water and nothing even close to a ultra light.Im not a huge fan of it but it was still enjoyable.

How cold was it? did you let it warm up? I thought it was pretty flavorful myself.

I am not sure of the temp as I ordered it with dinner at a restaurant - cold, but not icy. I only drank the one and it lasted the whole dinner, so it did warm up some. Still wasn't impressed.

As to the "full disclosure" thing, I am old and neither know nor care what is in vogue when it comes to posting online. I was merely letting people know that they might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt because I generally prefer stronger ales to light lagers.

As to the "full disclosure" thing, I am old and neither know nor care what is in vogue when it comes to posting online. I was merely letting people know that they might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt because I generally prefer stronger ales to light lagers.

Don't worry, i set ABG straight in another thread. ;)

I traded a 12ozer of dry, still Apfelwein for a bottle of this. It was more of an excuse to hook my friend up - but thought I'd get something out of the deal too. I liked it - light bodied, citrusy, and a very slight maltiness that I detected more in the first half of the bottle than anywhere else. I wouldn't make the trade a second time, but it was worth tasting a new beer.

I'm not knocking your senility, don't worry. ;) It just seems redundant to me. To me, the statement says something to the affect of "take this for what its worth, because its my biased opinion." But since we all pretty much understand that's the case whenever we open our pie holes online anyway, I don't see it as necessary. No big deal, it was just in my head because of the other thread, where discnjh did indeed lay some smack down on me. :mug:

That said, full disclosure, I hate screenames that are just muddled up letters! To refer to them, one either has to copy and paste or keep scrolling back to remember the damn letters!!! ;)

...and I still enjoy Alpine Spring!!!!!!

That said, full disclosure, I hate screenames that are just muddled up letters! To refer to them, one either has to copy and paste or keep scrolling back to remember the damn letters!!! ;)

...and I still enjoy Alpine Spring!!!!!!

Ha! So if you're referring to me, which I assume you are, its actually not just jumbled up letters, but I totally understand why it appears that way. I actually thought about that a while ago, its an awkward as hell screen name to reference, or say out loud, or anything. And it all started with my first hotmail account back in college, and then I just stuck with it.

First time I saw your screen name I thought you may have been a disc golfer and you might be but based on your pic I assumed you compete or play frisbee with your dog. That was my guess.

Ha! So if you're referring to me, which I assume you are, its actually not just jumbled up letters, but I totally understand why it appears that way. I actually thought about that a while ago, its an awkward as hell screen name to reference, or say out loud, or anything. And it all started with my first hotmail account back in college, and then I just stuck with it.

Sarge said:
First time I saw your screen name I thought you may have been a disc golfer and you might be but based on your pic I assumed you compete or play frisbee with your dog. That was my guess.

It actually came from playing ultimate, but you're also correct about the disc golf and playing frisbee with the dogs.

See, I always thought you just wanted to make us sound like we were sneezing if we talked about you.

Latest posts

Back