1 Month primary pitching dry S-04 for brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickme23

Reaction score
Should I go ahead and bottle, fermentation went VERY rapidly for 2 days and then stopped, no activity, steady gravity reading for the past 4 days.

I'd like to leave it in primary for another week or two at least but I'm afraid my yeasties weren't very spry since the grav is so high, but then again it practically looked like the wort was boiling in the carboy...

Brown Ale

OG 1.052 (high I know)
FG 1.031 (Doesn't seem to be low enough to me...)

Am I stuck? I have another packet in the freezer, I could make a starter and pitch again perhaps...

Just chill man the yeast will do their thing. You can let the primary go a month even two without a worry just take a sample every week or so. You dont even really need to do a secondary unless your dry hopping. Your patience will yield a better beer.

You don't mention fermentation temperatures. S04 flocculates and drops a lot so you might need to shake things up a bit and get in a warmer temperature. Swirl or gently stir with a sanitized spoon or stir stick. When I have used S04 it generally was done within 3-4 days.

The recipe I used called for primary to be 68F, I think it was somewhere closer to 69-71

I just expected such a lower FG that I was wondering if I should pitch my other packet of yeast...

I brewed a bitter with s-04 on Tuesday and today, Friday, it's down to 1.016 with some airlock activity. I'd say you're stuck. Bring the temp up, shack up the carboy to get your yeast back in suspension and hope for the best. I don't think that not doing anything will get your FG to go down.

Back