possible emergency help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
I am boiling my wort, and broke my hydrometer. And there is no-way of getting a new one for a few days. How important is a starting reading.

Thanks
Mike.

Save enough to take a measurement, cover it and stick it in the fridge to measure when you get a new one...

You will be fine, the most important thing is a few days of stable fg before bottling. Knowing the exact ABV is not all that important.

If you can float an egg in it, it's a big beer. Probably better than 1.080. Cheers!

Egg_Specific_Gravity_vs_Flock_Age.JPG

RDWHAHB :-D

Just make sure the bubbles are completely stopped in your airlock before you bottle.

I've gone 34 straight batches without measuring...and I've only done 35 batches.

You will be fine, the most important thing is a few days of stable fg before bottling. Knowing the exact ABV is not all that important.

This. If its an extract, you can go by the estimated OG of the ingredients. Either way, abv isn't as important as having a finished fermentation process.

Thanks for the advice.
"Beer is proof GOD loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin.

I'm with the "saving it in the fridge method".

Oh.. and getting a refractometer; they don't break when you look at them funny. There a bit more but well worth it.

RDWHAHB :-D

Just make sure the bubbles are completely stopped in your airlock before you bottle.

I've gone 34 straight batches without measuring...and I've only done 35 batches.

Better to actually get a stable FG number than trust your airlock. Worst case scenario: you have a bad seal on your fermenter and bottle way too early, causing bottle bombs. Slightly better case: you have a weather change, or a cat bumps your bucket, causing bubbles, and your beer sits longer than need be.

I subscribe to the school of thought that regards airlock activity, early in fermerntation, as a good indicator that something is happening. However, the longer you go, the less reliable that is as an indicator. Better to take a sample and know for sure, than risk subpar beer or an injury from splodey glass.

Back