Adding orange to an extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hudsonj6

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to home brewing (just sampled my first batch or redwood ale and it turned out well) and I have a BrewHouse Prairie Wheat kit on order that I'm going to get started pretty soon and was thinking about adding some fresh orange to it. From what I've read in some other threads I'll probably add the zest of a few oranges (steeped in some warm water for a bit) to the primary (possibly secondary as well?) I love an orange slice with a rickards white, velvet fog..ect when I'm out at a bar but I'm looking to get enough of that sweet orange flavor/smell straight into the bottle without having to squeeze a fresh slice every beer. Any thoughts/suggestions on this would be great. Thanks.

cut it in pieces and put in a hop bag and steep in the secondary for a little. iuno how long for the flavour u want but if youre looking for a lot youll probably have to steep it for a while

it'll be a bit of an experiment i guess... other ways to capture some of that sweetness? (the actual fruit in a bag in the primary or maybe some juice in the secondary?)

I jus made a wheat beer with blood oranges and its zest which i threw right into primary, that is what the recipe called for.

If you like Richards white try using .75 of crushed coriander seed to the wort at the end of boil.

search blood orange hefeweizen, I made it with navels, It only lasted two weeks, it was that good. It will be a staple of mine.

I decided to go with a half ounce of coriander and the zest and fruit of 4 navels and steeped them for 10 minutes. I threw the liquid into the wort and bagged and fruit and tossed it into the primary as well. It smells awesome already so hopefully it turns out alright.

Latest posts

Back