Let the stout sit???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroberts1204

Reaction score
I brewed up a stout 10 days ago and it has finished fermenting with a final gravity of 1.009. Should I let it sit in primary for more time or can I just go ahead and bottle? Will the age do it some good or am I just wasting my time (and fermentation space)?

If you need fermentation space or to free up a primary, I would secondary it for a week or two. If possible, leave it in the primary for at least 1 more week.

I am particular to a sweet stout recipe I have, and I usually leave it in the primary for about a month (28 days).

I am a firm beleiver in the "clean-up" process that te yeasties do, and I also beleive that the higher the gravity the longer it should stay in the primary (within reason of course).

The original gravity was 1.052. I tasted it and the flavors seem to be in contrast to each other rather than working together. It was a rather complex recipe (trying to make an 'oatmeal cookie' stout). Some vanilla, cinnamon, and chocolate. Right now...seems like not such a good idea. I hope some extra time will help clean this beer up.

Time really seems to help flavors meld together and work better together. I actually tend to age my stouts (usually oatmeal stouts) for a few months before they round out to how I like them.

Time really seems to help flavors meld together and work better together. I actually tend to age my stouts (usually oatmeal stouts) for a few months before they round out to how I like them.

When you say age, I assume you are talking about transferring to secondary and letting it sit...is this right?? If so I might need to buy another carboy... :cross:

When you say age, I assume you are talking about transferring to secondary and letting it sit...is this right?? If so I might need to buy another carboy... :cross:

Yes bottle conditioning will work as well, as long as you can keep your hands off it :)

I condition in the keg, I only have 5 carboys to ferment in....

Yes bottle conditioning will work as well, as long as you can keep your hands off it :)

I condition in the keg, I only have 5 carboys to ferment in....

Man I wish I had room for a keezer, SWMBO and I are wanting to buy a new/bigger home, but when we got married she owns a townhouse(too small), and I own a home(too small) and its not the buying that kills us its the getting rid of one of the two we already own!

FUCCIN ECONOMY!!! DAMN YOUS', DAMN YOUS' ALL TO HELLLL!

Back