Oak Disaster?? Did I just make a poison??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panik

Reaction score
So a couple of months back I made an apfelwein and when I racked it to secondary I got a little crazy with the idea of okaing it. Having gone to my LHB I wasn't really happy with the oak chips they had for sale. Instead of purchasing there I made a trip over the to specialty woodworking store down the street and picked up a nice clean stick of white oak.

In talking with the father and son who run the store I explained what I was using it for and asked if they thought there would be a concern with toxic contaminants based on where they gets their supplies. Both to the limit of there knowledge did not think that there should be a concern since the oak I was purchasing did not come from recycled stock.

Long story short I went home, toasted 3oz to a nice medium toast and racked my cider onto it. Looking back on that decision my hind sight is catching up to me and I am wondering what the chances are of having created something that could potentially make my friends and family sick?

While it would be a shame to waste several gallons of cider I would much rather do that than risk hurting anyone. Any thoughts??

Extremely unlikely that the wood was treated. Woodworkers tend to be fanatical about working with virgin materials. Anything else would interfere with their finish.

That's what I figured....I know both the owners fairly well and they do know their business very well.

Being laid up after knee surgery, I've plenty of time to worry about my babies (3ga of apfelwein and 3ga of honey graff). The idea of something I've created for others to enjoy causing harm was bugging the bejezus out of me. Thank you for the reassurance!

Now, hopefully I haven't made Chateau D'Plywood out of my oaked apfelwein :p I was stupid and forgot to bag the toasted oak sticks a month ago when I racked the cider onto it. The night before my surgery I was up way late using improvised to tools to remove oak sticks from the 3ga of apfelwein. Given that the 3oz of oak was in long sticks and the fact that all but 1oz of the oak out I think I should be okay. If not I guess it will either age for a long time or be used for blending.

About a month, but these were not chips. I utlized sticks I home toasted.... figure about 6" long by about 1/2" square. (measurements are approximate)

What your asking about is one of the reasons I that went with sticks instead of chips. My limited understanding is that chips are somewhat one-dimensional in flavor and impart their additions in a relatively short amount of time.

I was trying to achieve and bit more depth as well as build in a bit of a safety net in regards how quickly flavor was imparted. The hope was that larger pieces of wood would impart flavor more slowly and allow me more control.

Back