Irish Red 2nd Brew OG??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaviator23

Reaction score
Well I just finished my second batch and its now in the primary. I took a reading and the OG was 1.040 and when I looked at the instructions it says it should be around 1.052? Is there an issue there... Also I added yeast fuel and Whirlflock and when the beer settled there is about 3-4 inches of poo on the bottom of the carboy. Normal?

Was this an extract batch? Did you have a partial boil and add water to the feremnter to get the volume up to 5 gallons? If this is the case, you can get a low reading by not having all the water mixed in.

Yea it was a mini mash.....I took another reading a few minutes ago and it was 1.044 so its came up a little... still has a large amount of poo on the bottom of the carboy.

I pitched the yeast at 4:30 yesterday, when I opened the closet today at 7am it was swirling like mad and there was about 3in of krausen on the top. Is this normal with Yeast Fuel?

texaviator23 said:
I pitched the yeast at 4:30 yesterday, when I opened the closet today at 7am it was swirling like mad and there was about 3in of krausen on the top. Is this normal with Yeast Fuel?
that is normal with yeast....it's fermenting.

also, don't let miscreants defecate in your brew anymore. it's sure to spoil the batch.

Where'd you get the kit? I recently did a Morebeer Irish Red extract kit that came out with a lower than expected OG.

Back