Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndtyank49

Reaction score
I made a Russian Imperial Stout last night, and i just got home from work, and the top was about to blow off, i took out the air lock because it was full of foam (all the vodka had been pushed out). When i took out the air lock it just kept foaming. It looks like a volcano.

WHAT DO I DO!?!

Keep sanitized tin foil over it and just let it go. As soon as it slows down, put the airlock back on.

Everything is fine.

Yeah, if you have a three piece airlock and some tubing this is an easy fix. Take the airlock apart and attach the tubing to the plastic tube on the center and push the airlock back into the bucket. Put the other end of the tube in a gallon jug half full of sanitizer, or water or vodka, whatever. Alternately if you have some tubing that will fit snugly inside the gromet in the lid of your bucket you can skip the airlock all togther and just push an inch of hose in the bucket through the gromet and the other end in a gallon jug as described above.

I used an old plastic ink pen as a fitting in the bucket. cut off a bit of the tip added a hose and ran into a jar. Works pretty good I will change to 3 piece when things close down but you don't have to.

I use the center of the 3 piece airlock and a hose. I cracked the airlock somehow so I just broke away the rest of the "bowl" part leaving just the tube. Its my dedicated blowoff setup.

Back