How much smoked malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
I just got 3 pounds of Weyermann smoked malt today. Being my first time using smoked malt, do you think this will be a sufficient ammount to lend an evident smokey character? I know i've heard different things, but has anyone used this specific malt?

Is this for a 5 gallon batch? If so, you will notice the smoke flavor in that batch. I made several smoked beers already. All were 5 gallons and around 5% or so. For one, I used 1# of smoked malt and could detect it, but it wasn't overpowering. For another, I cranked it up to 3# and it was a tad too much for my tastes. It all depends upon your tastes.

Yeah I was thinking a 5 or 5.5 gallon batch. Which smoked malt were you using? Was it in like a porter or stout?

I made the Kaiserdom Rauchbier recipe in Clone Brews, which is 1# of Weyermann. I made it again and bumped it up to 3#, again Weyermann. The color on the brew was SRM 10-12, so nothing close to a porter/stout.

Latest posts

Back