Save my Yeti

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbevs

Reaction score
I just did a partygyle (two beers from one mash) and my main beer was a clone of Great Divide Yeti. This is my 15th beer and about my 12th all grain. Up until now all has gone well. I am experiencing some fermenting difficulties. Not sure what it is, lag, whatever. My theory (based on good old John Palmer's notes) is: "the yeast were re-hydrated in really warm water (105¡F) and then pitched to a much cooler wort (65¡F), the large difference in temperature can thermally shock the yeast and cause a longer lag time as they adjust." Basically I'm seeing no bubbling activity on either beer but both seem to be okay, nonetheless I'm concerned. I went a ahead and transferred the second beer, an ale, to a glass carboy (don't ask me why), it had a gravity of 1.010. My Yeti clone doesn't have much of a 'head' on it and no bubbling. I usually get real good action on my fermenters and it is at perfect temperature (68 degrees-70 degrees). I pitched three packs of Safale dry yeast which I hydrated on this mutha. This is the first time I went this route, I usually do a starter from Smack Pack or just Smack Pack. Should I pitch another yeast, just be patient, or what?

The one that's at 1.010 sounds like it fermented just fine.

What's the gravity on the other one?

I wouldn't worry about bubbles or no bubbles.

You might be right. Right after I posted this I went and took a hydrometer reading on my Yeti clone and it was at 1.020, which is exactly what the recipe says the FG should be. Unfortunately I was too drunk to remember to take the OG measurement (ha,ha). Better yet, I then drank what I put in the hydrometer tube and it was damned delicious. I wanted to drink a whole 12 oz of it. So, I think all is good. I'm just going to let her go and age/ferment in my boiler room for the next month or so. Do you think longer? Also, dare I get greedy/risky and go for like an oak aged yeti or even a chocolate oak aged (adding some oak chipes and/or chocolate) or just leave well enough alone?

Back