Something for the ladies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolplayer

Reaction score
Alrighty then,

My friend and I thought it would be good to let the ladies partake in one of our cooking days and pick out a kit that would suit them. My wife was not thrilled with my NBA, and I can't just throw her out in the street :rolleyes: . If she's a Mich Golden drinker, what would be a good gateway brew (non-lager) that seems to be friendly with a new palette for beers? She's pointing at a Kolsch as a pale beer with friendly qualities. Any other suggestions our there?

Thanks

kolsch is a really good one. Some light wheats, like a belgian wit are also popular.

I'm going to be doing a raspberry wheat for my wife in the spring. She doesn't drink a lot of beer, but she has great taste (Stone IPA and Dogfish Head 90 minute Imperial are some of her favorites).
She wants the wheat for those hot days on the deck and for camping.

Kolsh, Milds, American hybrids, wheats.

I agree with David.

If you can ferment cool (low 60s) Kolsch is a great choice. Otherwise, a blonde (also fermented at 60 degrees with a clean well attenuating ale yeast), a cream ale, or if she's a wheat beer fan, an American wheat.

Some women like fruit beers, but I don't personally know any that do.

Another thought is to go dark- some women who don't like bitter beers like stouts (Guiness) or porters, especially if they have chocolate or coffee flavors.

Another thought is to go dark- some women who don't like bitter beers like stouts (Guiness) or porters, especially if they have chocolate or coffee flavors.

Once you go black...

my wife is a fan of the "stoutier" beers. The more roast, chocolate, the better. But if yours is a mich fan, try BM's Centennial Blonde or Cream of 3 crops. Both highly praised here and in the recipe database.

Every person has a different idea of what a "good" drink or food is. If she can handle switching from American big brews like Bud/Michelob to Canadians like Labatt/Molson, then she could probably handle Sam Adams beers. I'd pick up a sampler and tell her to have at it. My wife's a big fan of Cherry Wheat, though she did dig on the Raspberry Witbier this year.

Can she handle, say, Oberon, or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or Anchor Steam?

I guess I'm trying to say, don't brew if you don't know what she'll be interested in. She's gotta try a few to allow you to narrow down the field. I did a beer-tasting night with all of my neighbors a few months ago, and they found they liked many more styles than they'd originally thought. It helped me to start some brews which others can partake in.

+1 on BM's Centennial Blonde. That's a tasty beer!

I'd recommend having her try a few styles from the store, just to get an idea of what she might like. Blondes, Wits, Cream Ales, etc.

Her tastes are likely to expand the more she is willing to try different things, and the more she keeps trying stronger beers. Most people don't care for stronger beers when they are younger, and grow out of them by trying new and unusual styles.

I agree with David.

If you can ferment cool (low 60s) Kolsch is a great choice. Otherwise, a blonde (also fermented at 60 degrees with a clean well attenuating ale yeast), a cream ale, or if she's a wheat beer fan, an American wheat.

Some women like fruit beers, but I don't personally know any that do.

I have a cream ale that will be ready in another week, I opened one up last week just to take a peak at it's progress. The head retention was minimal as to what I was expecting telling me that time may be a benefit to the quality of this one. Any particulars to having a better head or something I missed? I was slowly stirring the bucket the entire bottling time to keep the sugars moving so that the mix was balanced. Maybe it's just to early to tell. Like the feedback so far :rockin:

Every person has a different idea of what a "good" drink or food is. If she can handle switching from American big brews like Bud/Michelob to Canadians like Labatt/Molson, then she could probably handle Sam Adams beers. I'd pick up a sampler and tell her to have at it. My wife's a big fan of Cherry Wheat, though she did dig on the Raspberry Witbier this year.

Can she handle, say, Oberon, or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or Anchor Steam?

I guess I'm trying to say, don't brew if you don't know what she'll be interested in. She's gotta try a few to allow you to narrow down the field. I did a beer-tasting night with all of my neighbors a few months ago, and they found they liked many more styles than they'd originally thought. It helped me to start some brews which others can partake in.

I got a nut brown, cream ale, St.Paul porter, Multi-grain red, and a single hop bitter in the bottle aging. And I'm gonna have her try each as they are ready and get a feel for her tastes. I don't have the cooler facility to try a Kolsh or Lager like I'd want to do. I gave her the local brewers magazine and let her rifle through the kits to see what she was interested in. Rasberry wheat was the first one, then a cherry stout, the Kolsch, and the honey brown ale. I'm gonna knock out a few more recipes in the next two weeks so I have a mass for Christmas gatherings. Cheers :mug:

If this is the Northern Brewer catalog, watch the Cherry Stout. I saw quite a few reviews on their own site with people saying they thought the extract tasted like cough syrup in the beer. One did mention he'd dropped the extract amount to half the amount the recipe called for, and it turned out better.

Back