So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd time around with the Kveiking yeast; pitched at 9:45 this morning, and at 2pm have a nice high krausen. This one didn't start off as warm as the last one (80 compared to 95+) so it might not flocc out as well. Must admit I'm still chicken to pitch yeast at that high of a temperature even though I know it will be fine. Hit my numbers otherwise, and it will be beer.
I thought I read a post yesterday complaining about having too much beer!

I thought I read a post yesterday complaining about having too much beer!
I wasn't complaining, exactly...just trying to justify brewing some more! So today I'm drinking on my Wit (lowest keg in the kegerator) so I have an excuse; need to replace an empty keg, right??? I never ever thought my brewing capacity would exceed my drinking capacity...on the upside, two of the beers I have in kegs can age for a while (american strong and an Irish Death clone) so I really do have room....I think.

I wasn't complaining, exactly...just trying to justify brewing some more! So today I'm drinking on my Wit (lowest keg in the kegerator) so I have an excuse; need to replace an empty keg, right??? I never ever thought my brewing capacity would exceed my drinking capacity...on the upside, two of the beers I have in kegs can age for a while (american strong and an Irish Death clone) so I really do have room....I think.
No excuses required! I often brew more than I can or want to drink, so I give away a lot of beer.
Pssst! That's where bottles are handy, not giving away any kegs!

Perhaps, off topic, but what brand of grain mill?
So, indeed off topic, but I've seen your frustrations...My Barley Crusher died after only 2 years (and 60ish batches). The knurling wore to the point that I'd have to triple crush, starting at .050 or more just to get it to grab. Adjusting down as I could. Some runout due to bearing wear as well. My own frustrations after spending about an hour each brew day adjusting and readjusting to mill for each batch, led me to buy the SS Brewtech mill and cart.

I know, I know...very expensive, but worth it to me. I now just measure my grains the night before, wake up and light my burner, mill my grains (15 lbs or so in 3 or 4 minutes), and go :). For those interested, -4 setting for rye or oats, -3 for everything else. I BIAB. Today I hit 80% efficiency (compared to 68-70% prior).

This week I'll be trying my skills on an ESB. I really enjoy this style but I'm such a hop head that I think I will bump up the IBU. I don't want to take away from the malty and somewhat dark fruit notes. I guess I don't really know what to do. I'll drink Fuller's ESB and absolutely love it and then think to myself how I would like this to be a bit more bitter. Perhaps I am talking in circles and should just brew a red IPA. :confused::confused:
Thoughts?

So, indeed off topic, but I've seen your frustrations...My Barley Crusher died after only 2 years (and 60ish batches). The knurling wore to the point that I'd have to triple crush, starting at .050 or more just to get it to grab. Adjusting down as I could. Some runout due to bearing wear as well. My own frustrations after spending about an hour each brew day adjusting and readjusting to mill for each batch, led me to buy the SS Brewtech mill and cart.

I know, I know...very expensive, but worth it to me. I now just measure my grains the night before, wake up and light my burner, mill my grains (15 lbs or so in 3 or 4 minutes), and go :). For those interested, -4 setting for rye or oats, -3 for everything else. I BIAB. Today I hit 80% efficiency (compared to 68-70% prior).
My SS Brewtech Mill should arrive today!

Brewing a milk stout this morning. I know it isn't a summer beer, but I think it's always tasty :mug:
20200621_075847.jpg

I brewed a brut IPA hopped according to Other Half's All Together Now covid-19 relief recipe. OG 1.047 should go to 0.998 or so for 6.4% ABV. 15 gallon batch with 1.3 oz fwh, 9oz in whirlpool and 2 pounds dry hops. Starting with close to 18 gallons into fermenter hoping to get close to filling 3 kegs with all those dry hops. Hops were ctz fwh, mosaic and cascade in whirlpool, mosaic, citra, simcoe, cascade and ctz in dry hop. Will do the dry hop in two charges, with first near end of fermentation like a NEIPA and second after fermentation is over. Hoping second dry hop charge will be first try with the Norcal yeast brink I ordered friday. Here's a pic of the hops

IMG_0515.jpeg

I brewed a brut IPA hopped according to Other Half's All Together Now covid-19 relief recipe. OG 1.047 should go to 0.998 or so for 6.4% ABV. 15 gallon batch with 1.3 oz fwh, 9oz in whirlpool and 2 pounds dry hops. Starting with close to 18 gallons into fermenter hoping to get close to filling 3 kegs with all those dry hops. Hops were ctz fwh, mosaic and cascade in whirlpool, mosaic, citra, simcoe, cascade and ctz in dry hop. Will do the dry hop in two charges, with first near end of fermentation like a NEIPA and second after fermentation is over. Hoping second dry hop charge will be first try with the Norcal yeast brink I ordered friday. Here's a pic of the hops

View attachment 685956
Now that's a "hoppy" day!! :cool:

Brewed up another batch of the house lager yesterday. The first two were done warm (64-66) and this one is fermenting at 55, just to see how the Lallemand Diamond lager yeast does at cooler temperatures. The WF ones turned out damn near perfect, and since I have enough in the pipeline have time to try a cold/cool one. No lag on the yeast (used a fresh pack) and it's happily bubbling away today. If anyone is interested, here's the recipe:

10lbs pilsner malt
1lb light Munich
1lb Carapils

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes, lautered for 15

1oz Sterling FWH
.5oz each Hallertau Mittelfruh & Blanc at 10, 5, and flameout

SG 1.062 (let it boil a bit too long, gonna get about 4.75g in the keg, target SG is about 1.055)

Sitting in my ferment fridge, in one of my 7g fermonsters (oh yes way too much headspace) at 55; I'll let it go until the krausen starts to drop, then raise the temp to 62 for a couple days before dropping to 48 for a week or so. Should be a tasty one.

I just started sort of a cream ale. (it's a little strong and bitter for the style) First beer I've brewed since late January, I think. Four gallon batch:

6.75 pounds pilsner malt
6 ounces of some kind of dark kilned malt I'm calling 20L Munich
.5 ounce Columbus hops @ 30 minutes
6 ounces of sugar (added to fermenter after a couple days)
Voss Kveik yeast

It should end up about 5.3% ABV and 28 IBU And I'm hoping it's ready to bottle in about a week. It's mashing now and smells very malty :)

ETA: It started raining pretty hard about 10 minutes into the boil. I hurried it up a bit; ended up with a little over 4.5 gallons instead of 4 (from a little shorter boil plus the rainwater) So it might end up around 5% and about 20 IBU. (that's a guess, I haven't calculated it)

Last edited:
Not really the weekend, but had some tummy issues this morning and took the day off. Decided to try brewing an Orange Coriander Wit, this time using that nice Kveiking yeast I have so much of now after two batches. Won't be a true Wit since no Belgian yeast, but I bet it's good. Going to bitter with some Citra and add some late additions as well as orange peel and coriander. Yes, it might be a fruity bomb, but it will be beer. I did a google search to see if anyone has tried a Wit with Kveik yeast and came up empty (if anyone can find something I'm open to suggestions) so this might be a first. Aiming for a slightly tropical, citrusy, hazy, refreshing beer and I bet I get it. Gonna chill it down to 100 (Seattle weather forecast says today will be very warm) and pitch, and leave it in the house to ferment around 90-95, wrapped in a towel and blanket. This is fun! Although answering a zillion questions from work isn't, but it's the price to pay for a day off.

I've go lager yeast ready to do my Czech Bohemian Rhapsody Pilsner this coming weekend. I'm waiting on my bag from Wilser though. I can't really brew without it. I also need a hose from my kettle but that I can get at Lowes. I threw out all my old hoses from 4 years ago. They were due for replacing even back then, and they'd been sitting since gathering dust.

And I hate to ask this question, but what does everyone do with all that beer? I'm happy to have one on tap, never mind 5. Brewing was never more than a once or twice per quarter activity for me. When I was working I didn't have the time. Now that I've retired I have all the time in the world but still the days are just packed!

Brewing 20g Bitter chocolate oatmeal stout w/ 3 brew buddies. Will move to a whiskey barrel for aging with the addition of 9 lbs whiskey soaked cherries.
Moved the stout to a 15g whiskey barrel(ASW) on top of the 9 lbs of bourbon soaked( 4 weeks +) cherries. 4g reserved for topping up if needed.
Will age until Thanksgiving/Christmas.

Tried to brew last weekend and monday but kids and rain got in the way.
looking to do 10 gallons of cream of 3 crops on sunday.
I did manage to brew 5 gallons of Belgian for my blueberry beer under my gazeebo the other day while it was raining.

Pretty good brew day. Only issues are that I managed to spray some hose water into my cooled wort and I keep ending up with one extra gallon ever since buying a new brew kettle.

I know off topic, but thanks for the input on the mill!

Brewed up another batch of the house lager yesterday. The first two were done warm (64-66) and this one is fermenting at 55, just to see how the Lallemand Diamond lager yeast does at cooler temperatures. The WF ones turned out damn near perfect, and since I have enough in the pipeline have time to try a cold/cool one. No lag on the yeast (used a fresh pack) and it's happily bubbling away today. If anyone is interested, here's the recipe:

10lbs pilsner malt
1lb light Munich
1lb Carapils

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes, lautered for 15

1oz Sterling FWH
.5oz each Hallertau Mittelfruh & Blanc at 10, 5, and flameout

SG 1.062 (let it boil a bit too long, gonna get about 4.75g in the keg, target SG is about 1.055)

Sitting in my ferment fridge, in one of my 7g fermonsters (oh yes way too much headspace) at 55; I'll let it go until the krausen starts to drop, then raise the temp to 62 for a couple days before dropping to 48 for a week or so. Should be a tasty one.
Recipe sounds good. Consider using a bit of acid malt? IMO, this give the Pils "bite".

Back