First brew possible mistakes, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyRed

Reaction score
Hi All,
This forum is outstanding and thanks to all for helping us beginners out.
Anyway, I brewed my first yesterday (basic autumn amber kit from Midwest) and everything went pretty smooth. Although a few, hopefully minor mistakes. I put an unsanitized thermometer in the wort for a brief moment while cooling. Second, and this is boneheaded, I forgot to take an initial gravity reading. Is there anyway to determine alcohol content at this point?
It is fermenting at this point and seems to be going pretty good. As stressed as I was that I was going to screw something up, it was very fun and I eventually want to design my own recipes in a couple of years.
At least no boilover!

Thanks,
Grizz

I think if you post all the ingredients, one of the big brains here with the fancy software might be kind enough to give you an estimated OG for your recipe. It won't tell you for SURE what you have, but it'll give you an estimate at least.

The recipe should have provided an estimated OG, with extract you can count on that being pretty close.

As for the thermometer it is pretty hard to ruin a batch of beer. I had one batch with a solid layer of mold across the top of the wort, and it turned out fine.

Chances are the thermometer won't do anything to you brew. Once the yeast take hold, they actively keep other organisms from taking hold by changing the PH and releasing alcohol to make the young beer as inhospitable to the "bad guys" as possible.

Either way, you most likely will never make THAT mistake again. :D

Back