dead yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Fizzle

Reaction score
hey everyone, i have been making beer for about a year now, without a hitch. But today i made a rookie mistake. I'm using Festa Brew's kit, and my wife was helping me put on my latest batch. i pre boiled the water for the yeast packet and was letting the water cool, when my wife unknowingly added the yeast to the hot water. I hadn't noticed she had did this, so i went ahead and added it to my wort. so, knowing that my dead yeast is in my wort, what will happen if i add a new yeast packet? is my batch a total loss? or can it be saved?
thanks in advance
Colin

hey everyone, i have been making beer for about a year now, without a hitch. But today i made a rookie mistake. I'm using Festa Brew's kit, and my wife was helping me put on my latest batch. i pre boiled the water for the yeast packet and was letting the water cool, when my wife unknowingly added the yeast to the hot water. I hadn't noticed she had did this, so i went ahead and added it to my wort. so, knowing that my dead yeast is in my wort, what will happen if i add a new yeast packet? is my batch a total loss? or can it be saved?
thanks in advance
Colin

Yeast can survive tough situations better than we give them credit for. What temp was the water when she added the yeast? You could get a new packet and pitch it too if it worries you!

it had probably been only sitting 5-10 minutes before she added it, so it was still pretty hot.
adding a new packet won't cause any harm? i'd rather be safe than sorry

Nope. It wont cause any harm at all! I would try to use the same yeast strain incase there are some survivors from the original packet, but if not it won't hurt anything to use whatever strain you have on hand or can find!

You are welcome! On your next online order or trip to the local homebrew store, I would grab an extra packet of US05 or nottingham to have on hand in case something unexpected happens like this in the future! :)

"yeast nutrient" is what I would call that first packet ;)

repitch and the new fellas will have everything they could possibly need to multiply

Back