Did I overpitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula2fast

Reaction score
Last weekend I made a pumpkin ale that clocked in at 1.082. I did a two stage starter to get my count to 319 billion cells. The yeast calculator I used said I needed that much.

After pitching, I had activity within 2 hours, and by the next days it was going nuts in the morning. When I got home from work, my bowl of sanitizer that my blow off tube was in was full of beer, krausen, and yeast and it was bubbling like crazy.

I made a new bowl to put it in and by the next day that too was full of beer and yeast. There was a pretty good cake on the bottom of both bowls. It is still fermenting, and it has calmed down significantly, but I am worried that I lost way too much yeast to keep it going once I secondary and let it bottle condition.

I have never had this much activity to blow out beer through the blow off tube. Was it from over pitching? Should I be worried about the amount of yeast lost? Also, when the beer filled the sanitizing bowl, do you think that it could have caught any bacteria or anything bad since the sanitizer was now diluted and not as acidic? I am more worried about that than the lower amount of yeast that I now have.

Latest posts

Back