Chest freezer/Fermentation chamber temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
Hey, had a thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/a419-temp-controller-251728/ talking about my temp controller when i was having trouble figuring it out. Didn't get many responses on the thread, but after messing with it a bit and keeping an eye on it i think I have it dialed in right.

But really im just a novice homebrewer looking for confirmation from experienced brewers to reassure me so I can sleep tonight.

My question is....after messing with the temp a bit it is fluctuating between 61-67 degrees F. ...ill be fermenting ales in here so this sounds like it will work.

What happens is my controller cuts in at 67 degrees for approx 4 minutes.. turns off and it continues to cool for a few more minutes to about 61 degrees.. about a half hour later it has warmed to 67 degrees and it kicks in for another 4 minutes and so on and so forth..

Is this okay?? is a beer fermentating at temps of 61-67 ok or does it have to be one steady temp??? Thanks everybody:mug:

You want to shoot for as even a temp aspossible. Some people put their probe in a bottle of water placed in the chamber to help even out the fluctuations. One guy in Australia has his probes in the fermenting beer via a thermowell.

Back