Brewpot, regular bottom VS tri-clad bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_m_s_00

Reaction score
I gave a 7.5 gallon SS brewpot with a thick tri-clad bottom that I use on a NG stove. I never really get a good boil. It’s about the same if I boil 4 gallons or 6, so I’m wondering if I loose some heat through the thick bottom. Do you folks think I would get a better boil by using a pot without the tri-clad bottom? Something like the Boilermaker?

Blichmann claims that the boilermaker is designed perfectly (duh) for brewing. The tri-clad would tend to spread the heat out over the bottom so you would not burn sauces, etc. in a pot. In your case you should try wrapping your pot with some Reflectix or similar insulation before giving up the $$$ for a Boilermaker. I think you will be surprised at how much better your boil is. You should also try spanning 2 burners if you can to get more heat on the pot. In my case before Keggles I used a tri-clad bottom pot (5 gallons) indoors and it worked well. When I moved up to a larger pot I had to take it outside for a good boil. You could also build or buy a heatstick to pump up the power!

Latest posts

Back