What gap are you crushing your wheat malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christpuncher123

Reaction score
I am a BIAB'er and I usually get around 80% eff, The last two Kolsh's I have done have had terrible eff, 63%! I couldn't figure out why until I put the white wheat in my barley crusher today, that is set a .035 and heard the sound of grain passing the gap and hitting the bottom of the bucket!! It's quite a bit smaller than other grains, and It's not getting the crush it needs! I dont like to pulverize my grain because i can taste when husk dust is in my boil! It seems like a PITA but I think I'm going to have to close the gap for the wheat and then set it back to .035 for the rest! Just curious if anyone else has noticed this problem? I'm doing another Kolsh this weekend. I will close the gap on the wheat and post the difference in eff.

I use a cheap Corona mill to grind wheat malt and adjuncts separately from malts with husks. You could just change the spacing too.

I've also read a longer mash with malted wheat is a good thing, you could try that if changing spacing is a PITA for you.

Yes, typical problem. I tighten up my mill for wheat as well. That alone is why I ruled out buying a non-adjustable mill.

Back