My cheapest Batch ever to date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
Well, if you have been following THIS THREAD you know I was curious about the Mild Malt my LHBS sells - it's super cheap - and I made an experimental batch with it. Well, it's in the keg, and so far at each point I am pretty thirilled with it.

So I got the brew bug yesterday, and this week I am a little low on cash. No brewing, right? WRONG!

Here's what I tossed together for a shot at a Low ABV spring sipping Mild:

4 lbs Mild Malt ( $4.85 - LHBS)
1 lbs carpils ( 1.95 - LHBS)
1 lb Crystal 60 (2.10 LHBS)
1/2 oz MASH Hop - Northern Brewer
1/2 oz 60 min Northern Brewer ( 1.99 for whole oz - AHS)
1 oz Yakima Golding at 10 min ( 1.99 for whole oz - AHS)
Repitch on cake for third use of Wyeast American Ale Yeast ( Cost negated )

Thats only $12.78 ( before the tax on the grain ) for 5 gallons!:ban:

Even better it's only $0.27 a bottle!:rockin:

Now let's just see if it is any good.....:mug:

not bad, seems like something nice and well rounded just to drink.

did kinda the same thing a little over a month ago

5.6 lb 2 row
1.42 lb vienna
.5 lb dextrine

oz of hallertau

and made a nice little blonde ale for around 15 bucks...

What gravity are you seeing in this? It sounds like it might be some pretty light beer?

I overshot my gravity actually - I got a 1.036, was looking for a 1.032..

Just wanting a very simple, very low ABV spring afternoon session beer.

Well, if you have been following THIS THREAD you know I was curious about the Mild Malt my LHBS sells - it's super cheap - and I made an experimental batch with it. Well, it's in the keg, and so far at each point I am pretty thirilled with it.

So I got the brew bug yesterday, and this week I am a little low on cash. No brewing, right? WRONG!

Here's what I tossed together for a shot at a Low ABV spring sipping Mild:

4 lbs Mild Malt ( $4.85 - LHBS)
1 lbs carpils ( 1.95 - LHBS)
1 lb Crystal 60 (2.10 LHBS)
1/2 oz MASH Hop - Northern Brewer
1/2 oz 60 min Northern Brewer ( 1.99 for whole oz - AHS)
1 oz Yakima Golding at 10 min ( 1.99 for whole oz - AHS)
Repitch on cake for third use of Wyeast American Ale Yeast ( Cost negated )

Thats only $12.78 ( before the tax on the grain ) for 5 gallons!:ban:

Even better it's only $0.27 a bottle!:rockin:

Now let's just see if it is any good.....:mug:

Ive used Ashburne Mild Malt a few times, i love it and your right it is nice and cheap! Tends to give a nice mellow wort.

nice, since i have switched to AG and I bought hops in bulk, most of my beers cost me ~$12-16 depending on gravity(6 gals). I never go over 1.060 though, I usually live @ 1.054. My LHBS has cheap grain, I want a mill but it just doesn't make sense.:rockin:

thats an ungodly amount of crystal in such a small brew.

Check out Orfy's mild.

Mild Mannered Ale - US imperial

Boil Volume: 6.80 galBoil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
5 lbs 7.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 5.8 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain
4.4 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRM) Grain
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.025 SG with all grains/extracts added

Check out Orfy's mild.

Mild Mannered Ale - US imperial

Boil Volume: 6.80 galBoil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
5 lbs 7.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 5.8 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain
4.4 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRM) Grain
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.025 SG with all grains/extracts added

sure is a lot, but still under the recommended max of 20%. this recipe has 2lbs of crystal malt, making 33% of the bill mostly unfermentable

When making low grav beers you need to have a lot of sweetness/body or the beer will seem very thin and watery.

To the OP, I would say that you wasted some hops by hopping the mash. You are probably leaving a lot of hop-juice behind in the grains, so next time either do a FWH or just use it as a late addition.

When making low grav beers you need to have a lot of sweetness/body or the beer will seem very thin and watery.

To the OP, I would say that you wasted some hops by hopping the mash. You are probably leaving a lot of hop-juice behind in the grains, so next time either do a FWH or just use it as a late addition.

Yeah, the hopping the mash was a kind of spur of the moment lark - I had the IBUs in the 21ish area with the boil additions, and did it oddly enough because of a thread I had read here on HBT where someone mentioned it made the spent grains smell "heavenly" - I figured what the heck is 1/2 oz to play with?

Interested to see Orfy's is up there with the 60L too. I know it is going to be sweet - I want it sweet. But honestly this whole brew boiled down to I wanted to brew on a "no money" weekend - how cheap could I make it? ANd then I can always tweak / play with it as I brew more.

Carapils isn't entirely sweet and unfermentable. I think you will be fine. What bothers me is you pay $2.10 an ounce for C-60. Man I must be spoiled. My LHBS is $1.15 an ounce for Rahr 2-Row and 1.35 for an ounce C-60. I often make 1.050+ beers for $12-15 a keg with harvested yeast and bulk hops.

Carapils isn't entirely sweet and unfermentable. I think you will be fine. What bothers me is you pay $2.10 an pound for C-60. Man I must be spoiled. My LHBS is $1.15 an pound for Rahr 2-Row and 1.35 for an pound C-60. I often make 1.050+ beers for $12-15 a keg with harvested yeast and bulk hops.

:rockin:

My cheapest is also a mild and comes in at $12.35 including pitching a packet of S-04. So there is some potential room there for me to get it cheaper.

My next cheapest batch was a Saison at $12.48. I think with that one I used a commercial yeast that I harvested from bottles, and that combined with mostly bulk grains & hops brought the price down.

Back