Infection or Normal Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewerBrewer28

Reaction score
I've brewed five batches of beer before, two summer ales, and three IPAs. However, for my latest batch, I thought I'd try something different, so I decided to go with a coffee stout. Brewing seemed to go smoothly, so I transfered it to the primary and let it sit for a day. However, after a full day, I didn't see any real activity, which was a different experience for me after experiencing fairly vigorous fermentations after around 18 hours on my first five batches. At first I was fairly worried, but then I noticed the temperature was 58˚ F. I raised the heat in the house, and when I woke up the next morning, while not nearly as active as my batches of summer ale or IPA, I noticed a small bit of activity with the primary resting at a steady 65˚ F. It seemed to me that it was just a little slow to start up, so I continued the next few days fine. However, today I come in to check the wort, and I noticed a bunch of orangish/brown spots on top of the wort. This is the first time I've used Windsor by Danstar yeast, so I'm not sure if it's just some sentiment or krausen, or if I have a serious problem such as mold. I'm pretty worried, but please, don't be afraid to be complete honest.

*By the way, even if it may not look like it in the pictures, this is over the top of the entire thing.

b82a3ba1.jpg

6babf34a.jpg

6434b4b2.jpg

Alright, thanks for the info. I've always used Dry Ale yeast, so I was used to a large foamy krausen with some green spots from the hops. I guess it is just a differential in the yeast.

Latest posts

Back