Re-pitch or just wait

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I just brewed an AG doppelbock (pitched the yeast at 1600 hours on Tuesday). No airlock activity yet. . .

Ok, time for a confession. . . since I have a hectic schedule, and I can't easily plan on a brew day, I did not make a starter. I used Wyeast's Bavarian Lager Yeast, and I tossed in two of the large smack packs. I smacked each one about 8 hours prior to brewing, and NEITHER swelled.

So, here's my dilemma. ...

I couldn't find the same yeast to try and pitch. Instead, I went to the LHBS, and picked up a vial of White Lab's German Bock Yeast and German Lager Yeast.

Should I repitch with one of the White Lab's yeasts, or should I just sit it out and wait. Also, if I pitched one of the White Lab's, I was thinking of pitching the Bock yeast since the OG of this beer is 1.074.

I tried sitting it out at 65 degrees since Tuesday to help minimize the lag time, completely without success. I just put it away in the lagering fridge tonight until I decide its fate. I'm also leaving this weekend for a week, and I don't have ample time to make a good starter.

I'm really torqued about this one. I'm caught between the perverbial rock and a hard place.

Need some expert advice here. :confused: :(

Now I really don't know what to do. No bubbling yet, but the inner piece of the airlock is sitting up and at an angle, which lets me believe there just might be some early activity. Damn, though, there has been nothing for 3 days.

I just had an epiphany that this thread is entirely in the wrong section. . . I intended it for the techniques section.

Oh well.

honestly....pitch em both.......let it run its corse and see what ya get......:mug:

If i remember right an ale and lager yeast mix will make a cream ale type texture....worth a shot

You have to make a starter with Lager Yeast. It may take up to a week to start fermenting since you did not use a starter. It will take off sometime in the next few days.

StoutMeister said:
honestly....pitch em both.......let it run its corse and see what ya get......:mug:

If i remember right an ale and lager yeast mix will make a cream ale type texture....worth a shot

I never pitched an Ale yeast--I pitched a lager yeast, and the White Lab's is also a lager yeast.

Well, I know I should have made a starter-- I just brewed on a whim, and didn't have time to get a starter to go.... hence pitching two of the smack packs. I was hoping this one would be like my last lager and start fermenting within 12 hours.

Oh well.

dougjones31 said:
You have to make a starter with Lager Yeast. It may take up to a week to start fermenting since you did not use a starter. It will take off sometime in the next few days.

WEll, I'm leaving Monday AM for a conference, and won't be able to watch the fermentor.... I know the White Labs Bock yeast is good---Should I wait then??

I guess what would happen if I pitched the white labs on top for added insurance?

Wait until Sunday night to give it a chance. Keep it at lager temps. The yeast will take off.

I would also go ahead and make a starter with one of the other yeast tubes today. If your batch does start fermenting then you can save the starter in the fridge until you get back from your trip and brew another batch to use it in.

Just out of curiosity.... what are you using as a primary? Carboy or bucket? Reson I ask is many people who use a bucket who dont see activity find out its a sealing problem.

Beer Snob said:
Just out of curiosity.... what are you using as a primary? Carboy or bucket? Reson I ask is many people who use a bucket who dont see activity find out its a sealing problem.

I'm use carboys and SS conicals :D. This one is in a Carboy since its only a 5 gallon batch.

Biermann said:
Ok, I waited, and its fermenting. Thanks for keeping me patient.

I guess I'll make the starter next time.

It's the thing that kills a lot of brews... we've seen people dump stuff here when they just needed to be a little more patient....

Its not a vigorous fermentation yet, but its bubbling, and its starting to form krauesen. So I guess I'm good. Hopefully by the time I get back in town the thing will be going gangbusters.

Back