chocolate stout mod questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sflcowboy78

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing the goldseal chocolate stout kit from ahs and i wanted to mod it to have more chocolate flavor. what would be the best way to do this. I was thinking of adding some bakers chocolate or maybe using an extract. any input would help.

sorry if this has already been posted before but i am at work reading the forums on my palmpilot search does not work on it.

There are many different ways to add chocolate from chocolate drops to power. I'd suggest looking at the recipe database for different chocolate stout recipes to see if something there strikes you as what you want to do.

I use both cocoa and chocolate extract in my german chocolate stout. Just be warned if you do something like this you really will need to age the brew to mellow out/meld the flavors.

You'll find plenty of suggestions, but I have to ask the question: Have you brewed or, at least, consumed the fruits of the unmodified kit? If you have, go nuts and have fun. If you have not, you really do not know how to modify it or if you even want to.

TL

A lot of people think they want more chocolate flavor, when they really don't. Adding chocolate will make the beer a lot more bitter than you would normally think and as a result it will probably have to sit for quite a while to mellow. You may want to go with some straight chocolate malt and some carmel malts or even some lactose to sweeten the beer. This should accentuate the chocolate flavors that are already present in the kit without adding chocolate.

thanks for the input guys. no i have not tasted the kit by itself yet. the folks at ahs say it is very close to youngs double chocolate. i know i like youngs but wish that it had just a touch more chocolate flavor. i guess i will try the orig kit first and then mod from there. what i really wanted to do was the kit in plain in primary and then when i go to secondary take and do one gallon with the more chocolate flavor to experiment.

Latest posts

Back