Good dry ordinary bitter yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
So I'm going to do my 1st bitter tonight and one of my goals is to have this be my recipe for a good low cost, low gravity session beer. In the name of simplicity, I'd like to use a dry yeast. Any good suggestions for a dry yeast that works well in bitters?

BrewDey said:
I was thinking about this-the description sounds like what I'm going for, and the temp range of the basement right now.

I wouldn't let it get above 64F if you can manage. That's internal, not ambient...

I used S04 for a bunch of batches in a row and eventually decided I didn't really like it. To me, it has a sort of tart/ "twang" thing going on that I don't really care for. Other people love it though so give it a try.

Windsor is excellent I think but you need to keep the fermentation temp. down (<=18C) or you'll get "fruit salad". Also, it attenuates poorly - my last beer attenuated less than 60%! My latest batch is currently fermenting with Windsor and Nottingham together. The idea is to get the nice English flavours of Windsor with the attenuation of Nottingham. I'll post back with the results if anyone cares.

S-04 is the only dried yeast that I would use in a bitter, but I learned to drink bitter in England. If you are used to American ales, it may be a bit estery (which is why I like it so much).

-a.

Latest posts

Back