Whats in the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mato23

Reaction score
So I made a sierra nevada clone and has been in the bottle just over 3 weeks. Havent looked at them till yesterday. I picked one up and there was tons of white stuff in suspension in the bottle. I took one and put it in the fridge last night and almost all of it fell to the bottom. Aside from the white floaters the beer is very clear. I tried using gelatin in the secondary and thus thought that would have taken most of the yeast out of suspension before bottling. I racked to secondary, left in for 1.5 weeks, added half of a pouch(1 or the 5 that comes in the Knox box, i think it was like 1.5grams) of gelatin. I let the gelatin sit in the secondary for 5 or six days then bottled. I assume people are going to say it is yeast but why is there so much? I left about a quarter gallon in the bottling bucket. I tasted the beer and it tastes like a sierra pale ale, so no noticeable off flavors. So im just wondering, if this is just yeast, why so much?

hbt.jpg

i boiled water let it cool to like 150, let it dissolve and cool down to room temp then funnelled into carboy, only thing i can think is that gelatin didnt mix well until it went into the bottling bucket

Most folks who use gelatin also cold crash it afterwards. The gelatin doesn't really do much until it gets cold so it'll settle out at the bottom of the bottle if you don't cold crash it before bottling. If they're properly carbonated, I'd suggest leaving them in the fridge for while to settle out and then pour gently.

Latest posts

Back