Strike Temp Calculation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Okay, I'm getting all my data ready for my first AG batch this weekend, and I was entering data into Brewsmith and ran into a question...

In my mash profile, I chose a single infusion, medium bodied, batch sparge. I have "adjust temp for equipment" unchecked. I set the step temp at 150° (which I assume is my target temperature), which gives me a strike water temp of 161.4°. Am I doing this right?

Here's the recipe, thanks for the help!
-------------

10A American Pale Ale

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.74 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.50 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
1.70 oz Saaz [3.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [5.10 %] (15 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.90 %] (15 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

I think so. Some people add a few degrees to compensate for their equipment warming up from room temp. I leave mine unchecked (adjustment = 0), and just make sure to preheat my MLT with my hottest tap water before adding the strike water. My mash temps are generally right on and I only lose a degree or two over a sixty minute mash. I preheat mine for about 15 minutes or so (about how long it takes me to get grains crushed and strike water heated).

Good luck with your AG. You'll like it.

I second BrianP. I leave the equipment adjustment box unchecked and always pour 170-175F water into my mash tun, then let it cool to the strike temp Beersmith says.

Okay, I'm getting all my data ready for my first AG batch this weekend, and I was entering data into Brewsmith and ran into a question...

In my mash profile, I chose a single infusion, medium bodied, batch sparge. I have "adjust temp for equipment" unchecked. I set the step temp at 150° (which I assume is my target temperature), which gives me a strike water temp of 161.4°. Am I doing this right?

Yes, you are doing it right, but it is critical that you pre-heat your mash tun. I normally do this with 6 gallons of 175F water for 15 minutes. I drain that water and reserve it for mash-out and sparging. I heat the strike water to strike temp + 2F, pour into the tun, wait a minute or two until it cools to strike temp, add the grist and stir, stir, stir. I'm almost always within 1F of my target mash temp with this method.

Back