Opinion on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydavis

Reaction score
I don't have much experience creating my own recipes because I usually just use a tried and true HBT recipe. But, I have some remaining ingredients from previous brews that I want to use up. I think it will be perfect for my Thanksgiving crowd, as it will be made from leftovers.

Anyway, I would welcome any feedback on the recipe below. Thanks!

Leftovers IPA

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham, 1 re-hydrated packet
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 60
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14days (or so) @ 64f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): none

Mash at 152 for 60min.
I usually get ~85% efficiency (biab).

Rahr (2 row) Pale: 7.00lbs
Briess Carapils: 1.50lbs
Briess Crystal 10L: 0.50lbs
Weyermann Vienna: 0.50lbs

Warrior (Pellet) 0.70oz 60min
Summit (Pellet) 0.25oz 60min
Cascade (Pellet) 0.25oz 20min
Centennial (Pellet) 0.25oz 20min
Cascade (Pellet) 0.25oz 10min
Centennial (Pellet) 0.25oz 10min
Nelson Sauvin (Pellet) 0.50oz dry hop
Not much of a dry hop, but that's all the Nelson I have.

Looks good to me. Should turn out good and dry, maybe 1.010 FG with Nottingham, that yeast rocks.never used Vienna in a hop forward beer, but I used victory in a pale ale thay turned out nice. Brew on

Thanks for the feedback! I could easily eliminate the Vienna and add another half pound of 2-row. Idk. I want to use up the Vienna so I may stick with it and see what happens. [emoji482]

I think the grain bill looks fine other than the 1.5lbs of CaraPils is on the heavy side. I'd cut that back to a half pound and make it up with 2 row.

I'd up the hops if you have more. I'd move all your 20 minute,10 minute and dry hop additions to 5 minutes or flameout and do a hot steep before chilling. Then while fermenting, I'd go buy 2 more ounces of hops to dry hop it with. Otherwise I think you'll be lacking in IPA level flavor and aroma.

Yeah, I was thinking I didn't have enough late addition hops and dry hops. That's a good idea to move the earlier additions.
Buying more hops messes with my "leftovers " concept. But, I'd rather have a good brew than a strict theme.
Thanks for the advice! This is why I posted this.

I agree with needing more hops. Grain bill is good but I wouldn't considered that IPA by any measure. You need at 3x the amounts. You could just make a pale ale

If you are wanting to make a hop centred brew I would suggest a large hop stand at flameout to maximise hop character

It looks to me to be light on the hops all the way through.. Maybe double or more of most of the additions. Are you using a calculator? There are free ones online that will tell you the IBU to expect.

For dry hops I would go with at least 2 ounces and maybe 4 or more. Look at what the flavor of the Nelson Sauvin gives and add something similar.

Starting to see a consensus here. [emoji23]
I'm not too concerned about hitting a particular style. That being said, my initial plan was a pale ale, but Brew Target put the IBUs at just over 60, so I called it an IPA.
I do want a decent hop forward character, though. I guess I'm going hop shopping.

As you point out the only thing IPA like about the beer is the IBU's. Move the summit and first cascade/centennial addtion to a hopstand and that should bring the IBU's down and make a nice pale ale.

I think the grain bill looks fine other than the 1.5lbs of CaraPils is on the heavy side. I'd cut that back to a half pound and make it up with 2 row.

I'd up the hops if you have more. I'd move all your 20 minute,10 minute and dry hop additions to 5 minutes or flameout and do a hot steep before chilling. Then while fermenting, I'd go buy 2 more ounces of hops to dry hop it with. Otherwise I think you'll be lacking in IPA level flavor and aroma.

^^ Great minds drink alike! Lol, but seriously, I second Quakers opinion on both the grain adjustment and pushing the 20min additions to the end.
Sounds delicious. Good Luck!

Back