Easy BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...questions...

Yes.

All boil additions are written that way. How long the item needs to be boiled for. 60,30,15.5,0 mins left in the boil.

First wort hopping is hops added to the first runnings of wort before the boil begins. Edit: question the recipe as m00ps said. Usually FWH or 60 minute addition, not both. Pointless really to do both.

With IPA recipes there are often lots of after boil additions or additions at flame out 0 minute boil. Hopstands, whirlpooling and hop bursting are all things to explore. I don't make many IPA's so am not the best to offer advice.

Northernbrewer have a great clone recipe of Bells two hearted. I can't add the link but if you google Northern Brewer Dead Ringer recipe it will get you the PDF. Then just scale it to your setup and get the ingredients. It is a tasty IPA.

By all means wait to make the next beer but just remember if you've bottled this one you have 3 weeks to wait for a taste. 4-5 it will probably be even better. Then you brew your next one and you'll have 4-5 weeks wait between brewing and tasting. Thats 9 weeks from now to compare the two beers. Get a pipeline going, brew as often as your time, space, equipment, budget and desire allows.

With each batch make improvements to your methods and skillset, try new things. Refine as you go. Once the pipeline is well stocked you can relax.... phew.:D. It's great to have as election of HB to choose from.

Good news, the beer is fermenting I can see it bubbling now! One bubble pop every 16 sec for now.

I was a bit lazy and put the Amarillo hops at the same time because there was just 5min difference in this recipe (see under). Not sure 5min is worth the effort of taking the mesh bag out and adding the rest of the hops. I probably need an easier way to add the hops, I use a wilser hop bag and add each hop in this bag. The thing is I have to untie and tie the bag every time.

1. Add 1 oz. Simcoe hops
2. Boil 45 minutes
3. Add 1 oz. Amarillo hops
4. Boil 5 minutes
5. Add 1 oz. Amarillo hops
6. Boil 10 minutes

I will continue hunting for my next recipe ;)
Thanks for your help!

Not sure why you would need to tie and untie the bag for each hop addition. Most use a hop spider, or just simply clip the open bag to the kettle rim w/ a clothes pin or binder clip.
Keep it simple....cheers!

Fwiw, 5 minutes can actually make a difference. Some hop aroma oils are volatile, and boil away quickly, hence a specific timing with regard to flame out or post boil / whirlpool or even dry hop addition.

You'll be fine, just perhaps a little different.

Not sure why you would need to tie and untie the bag for each hop addition. Most use a hop spider, or just simply clip the open bag to the kettle rim w/ a clothes pin or binder clip.

Fwiw, 5 minutes can actually make a difference. Some hop aroma oils are volatile, and boil away quickly, hence a specific timing with regard to flame out or post boil / whirlpool or even dry hop addition.

Hey Wilser, the bag worked perfect thanks again!
I will check for a hop spider or build something similar myself at it seems to be expensive here (35$). Binder clip is a good idea, maybe clip it on the side of the kettle but the kettle top wall border is pretty thick (bayou classic).

Noted for the 5min hop, once I get the hang of it I will not cut corners again ;)

Next recipe I want to try is this one, read lot of good reviews :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=81478

Binder clips are an awesome idea! Why haven't I thought of it? :drunk:

No need to pay $35 for a hop spider. I'm not handy at all but made this for about $4 in parts plus the 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Some folks prefer using long bolts to suspend it but since I had the extra 3/4" PVC pipe laying around I just drilled holes in the coupler for it, then notched it so it won't roll off the kettle.

spider.jpg

You know what I'm thinking, just using a rope and do 2 hole in the bag, pass the rope in. Tie rope to both handles on the side so that it's tight.

Wilser, do you think making 2 small holes would be safe with this bag, I'm afraid the hole will become bigger if I make one.
Also do you recommend the smaller diameter bag for boiling hop or the medium one. I was thinking using the medium one for dry hop to have more surface. Thanks

Back