Overflowing Airlock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hello all,
I brewed a clone of Allegash White yesterday and pitched the yeast at about 4pm. This morning I came down to check in on my airlock, not expecting to see anything yet, and it had overflowed! (covering the lid of the 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket with nastiness.) I cleaned it up and replaced the 3 piece airlock with a blow off tube. This happened on my last batch as well, and there are two possible reasons that I can think of. For both of these batches, I've started my yeast a couple of days before in a simple starter (2c water, 1/4c DME), so they should have a nice healthy yeast to get them going. I've also started keeping my fermenting bucket in a larger water bath and keeping the temp around 66-68.

When I told my wife about the overflowing airlock, she suggested "maybe you should stop doing that thing with the yeast." The allegash white OG is 1.052 and the previous batch, a green flash west coast ipa clone, was 1.074.

I did not have this sort of activity for my first 4 batches (no yeast starter or water bath), so is this sort of overflowing airlock normal? Is this a result of the higher OG, the yeast starter, the temperature, or all of the above?

Thanks,
John

There can be many variables in a blowout. Temp, yeast, gravity all play roles. I have personally had low gravity beer (1.040 range) blow out where a high gravity (1.080+) not. I like to think that blowouts just mean the yeast are having a hay day in your brew...which means you did something right!

Thanks for your comments...I guess I keep doing what I'm doing. Haven't tasted any of these 'explosive' beers yet, but I'm assuming that the crazy fermentation is a good thing.

The height of the krausen seems to vary somewhat by yeast strain as well. Some strains seem not to produce a lot of krausen, regardless of how active the fermentation is. I had one bad overflow, and ever since I ALWAYS use a blow off for the first 3-4 days. Then I switch to an airlock.
Also, keep making a starter for every batch. It ensures a good strong fermentation.

Thanks for your comments...I guess I keep doing what I'm doing. Haven't tasted any of these 'explosive' beers yet, but I'm assuming that the crazy fermentation is a good thing.

What temperatures are you pitching yeast at?

Rick

I cool the wort to 80F and top off with cool water after transferring to the fermenting bucket, so the wort is at 66-70F when I pitch. Yeast is at room temp, about 65 or so.

I've had blow off happen no matter whether pitched dry,starter,or rehydrated. When conditions are right,initial fermentation will be explosive.

unionrdr said:
I've had blow off happen no matter whether pitched dry,starter,or rehydrated. When conditions are right,initial fermentation will be explosive.

+1. Depends on a lot of things. I had a stout with an OG of 1.108 pitched onto a yeast cake from a previous brew (which I have heard is asking for a blowoff), with no issue. So it is obviously not just gravity.

You say it is in a water bath? What temp are you holding?

EDIT: Sorry, you said 66-68. If I was you I would try to hold it lower. Whatever the bottom of the ideal range listed is where I would keep it. Ie, if it says yeast is best from 60-68, keep it 60-62 if possible.

For now, this is about the lowest I can hold it. I'm using a fish tank heater that bottoms out at 68, although my thermometer floating in the bath reads 65-66 at this setting. If I turn off the thermometer (which I did today after the blowout), the temp at night will drop to about 60 or even a little lower.

Maybe I'll try using the thermometer only at night, I'm just trying to keep the temp as constant as I can. The yeast is a wyeast belgian, but I don't remember which strain. I'll check when I get home.

I keep my house at 57 at night, so it could go somewhere south of 60.

I was in such a rush to clean up the mess and put in the blow off tube that I didn't stop to take a pic...wish I had!

I would take the airlock off... when it settles down put it back on.

With the "overpresure" occuring nothing is going down into it.

DPB

Hey from another CT brewer.

I too recently did an Allagash White clone a few weeks ago. I harvested the yeast from the four pack of bottles and did a stepped up starter to ensure I had enough yeast. Made a 5 gallon batch (probably around 4.5G based upon my estimation) in a 6.5G bucket. A tremendous amount of headspace! Even with that, my krausen reached teh lid of the bucket, and about a 1/4 inch up into the airlock (with blowoff tube connected). Mine was in my basement with an ambient temp similar to yours 63-68F.

I am not sure what yeast you used, but the one from the Allagash bottles is a monster.

JohnK93 said:
I keep my house at 57 at night, so it could go somewhere south of 60.

I was in such a rush to clean up the mess and put in the blow off tube that I didn't stop to take a pic...wish I had!

Do you know the range listed for the yeast? If not, what's the yeast? I can likely find the ideal numbers.

There is a good chance that sitting in water your beer temp will not go below 60, especially during active fermentation. If it was me I would skip the aquarium heater.

The kit recipe said 68-70 degrees, but in my experience all the kit recipes I've used have said this. I don't have the recipe in from of me, so I don't recall witch yeast it was....one of the Wyeast belgian strains, but I don't remember which one.

I did some testing before I started using the heater, and the temp did drop below 60 at night, probably down to 58 or so. I also did a test that indicated the when the water bath temp said 60, the temp of the water in the middle of the fermenter (I used water for my test) was 5-6 degrees warmer, which I attribute to the fermenter being a closed vessel while the bath water has more exposure to the colder air surrounding it. Going to have to do some more testing to get the balance just right.

Back