Dry hopping experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheblom

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was wondering if you could help me out. I am planning to do a dry hopping experiment. Here in New Zealand we have a brew called macs rocking hopper pilsner, and I love this beer, it's not overly bitter but it's full on aromatic hoppy flavor. This brew got me thinking on the different types of hops out there and the different flavors that each one has. So I decided to do a light lager extract beer by mangrove jacks, and then dry hop with different hops to start figuring out how I want to proceed with my future brews.

I have spoken to my local home brew shop on how to proceed with my experiment. So what I will brew the extract as per normal and let it ferment in the primary for a few days to get started, I will the transfer some of the brew to 2, 5L jugs to continue the primary, but in these jugs I will have the different hops.

So where I need your help is , how can I calculate the optimum amount of hops to add to the 5L jugs? And is the best way to get the hoppy flavours going to make a hop tea first?

Thanks in advance.

Any other advice is much appreciated!

I would wait until the fermentation is complete, then make the transfers. I would start with 15 gm of hops per jug and give them a week. If that doesn't do it, then make a hop tea with 250 ml of water and another 15 gm of hops. Add the tea a bit at a time until you get the desired results. And remember, using several types of hops gives a fully aroma than large amounts of one hop.

Back