Cream ale. Temp and yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnslater

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Grabbed a cream ale extract kit today at the LHBS to brew for my wife with some Nottingham ale yeast. Been using Nottingham a lot this winter because my basement had been in the low 60's and I've been making great beer. It occurred to me that with my basement now at 68 with the onset of summer I might have issues. I also noticed that the recipe calls for fermentation in the low 60's followed by a couple weeks at lager temps.

I have a packet of S-04 in the fridge, should I use this instead? How will the warm temps and lack of layering effect my brew/style? I don't have a fermentation cooler.

Edit, as long as I and up with a decent clean tasting law mower beer the wife will be happy with it.

05 was a good choice its a nice aggressive strain that can do wonders. Me and my buddy put together two different cream ale recipes and I wanted to experiment with adding sugar to increase the alcohol content, his we kept it more traditional both turned out amazing and is the most well received beer I've made. This is mostly because I'm in college and most people are BMC drinkers though. I would be interested in how the 04 went but to stay in style you picked the right one.

Back