Strawberry Banana Cream Wheat - How does it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanhanz

Reaction score
I'm going to brew this once my Aventinus clone is kegged because I'm going to use the yeast from it. The banana flavor will come from the Wyeast 3068, fermented at a temperature of 75 degrees to bring out the banana flavor. I'm adding lactose for the sweetness and cream properties. The flaked oats will contribute to the creaminess. This will all be racked on 4# of strawberries in the secondary. How does it look? I'm looking for strong banana and strawberry flavors on this one. Kinda my first recipe so I'm totally open to suggestions. How much of the yeast cake should I pitch to get a strong banana flavor?

Strawberry Banana Cream Wheat

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.00
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.42
Anticipated SRM: 3.2
Anticipated IBU: 10.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
56.3 4.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
37.5 3.00 lbs. Pilsen (2 Row) France 1.039 2
3.1 0.25 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
3.1 0.25 lbs. Milk Sugar Generic 1.030 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker pellet 4.75 10.6 60 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Notes
-----

4# Strawberries racked at secondary

Sounds interesting.

I might suggest mashing at low temps and for an extended (90 minutes) period to get full attenuation and a clean beer. You'll have enough flavor richness and mouthfeel that a fully attenuated beer will help to keep it from being too "muddy" tasting.

I like the concept. :ban:

Okay! That sounds much, much better than what I was imagining.

Really I was thinking 'cream o wheat' cereal, and chopped nanners 'n' strewberris.

Sounds interesting.

I might suggest mashing at low temps and for an extended (90 minutes) period to get full attenuation and a clean beer. You'll have enough flavor richness and mouthfeel that a fully attenuated beer will help to keep it from being too "muddy" tasting.

I like the concept. :ban:

I think I'll try that 90 minute mash schedule, do u think 50-52 degrees or lower?

Thanks

I would lower the fermentation temp a bit. I had great results with plenty of banana fermenting in the low 60s. I have avoided fermenting 3068 warm because I have read that it can get bubblegum-y at higher temperatures. I would also be a little wary of repitching from a higher gravity beer, the little guys will be pretty stressed out.

You may need more lactose and more strawberry, but you can add those later if the beer needs it.

I would lower the fermentation temp a bit. I had great results with plenty of banana fermenting in the low 60s. I have avoided fermenting 3068 warm because I have read that it can get bubblegum-y at higher temperatures. I would also be a little wary of repitching from a higher gravity beer, the little guys will be pretty stressed out.

You may need more lactose and more strawberry, but you can add those later if the beer needs it.

Definately don't want the bubblegum. So I should probably pitch a fresh batch of 3068? I was trying to keep the costs lower by re-pitching part from the secondary of the aventinus clone.

By the way, I love your blog. I've been following it for awhile, one of my favorites! I was going through withdrawal when you were in India!

Hey i just visited a local brewery where they had a porter in which they used real cocoa and used a yeast strain(they wouldnt say which one) that produces a banana flavor. So when i drank this OMG it was like chocolate coffee with a refreshing banana finish. I hope youre batch does the same thing.:ban::ban::ban::mug:

Hey i just visited a local brewery where they had a porter in which they used real cocoa and used a yeast strain(they wouldnt say which one) that produces a banana flavor. So when i drank this OMG it was like chocolate coffee with a refreshing banana finish. I hope youre batch does the same thing.:ban::ban::ban::mug:

That actually sounds pretty good!

Okay! That sounds much, much better than what I was imagining.

Really I was thinking 'cream o wheat' cereal, and chopped nanners 'n' strewberris.

Yeah, it sounds decent...I was worried, too. :D

Not sure how the sweetening from the lactose will affect it, let me know how it goes!

I've made Banana Bread Ale a few times and it always comes out great!

Gotta love wheat yeasts :)
:mug:

Definately don't want the bubblegum. So I should probably pitch a fresh batch of 3068? I was trying to keep the costs lower by re-pitching part from the secondary of the aventinus clone.

By the way, I love your blog. I've been following it for awhile, one of my favorites! I was going through withdrawal when you were in India!

I generally try to brew lower gravity beers then repitch into higher gravity, that way the yeast don't get too stressed out. The last time I tried to pitch from a big (~1.080) into a small (~1.060) beer the yeast crapped out around 50% attenuation. You could try pitching the yeast slurry into a qrt of moderate gravity starter wort with lots of oxygen and nutrients, that would help to get them ready for another round of fermentation. If you pitch it as is and it doesn't finish out you could always add a pack of WB-06 to finish it out.

Glad you enjoy the blog, I'm getting excited about fruit beer season now that high quality fresh fruit will be in season again.

Back