Bru Gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three of the 20 gallon kettles, still no official dip tube available. However, I have the Brewers Hardware one, its too long. THIS one though is PERFECT

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/collections/hardware-fittings-8/products/1-5-pick-up-tube

I bought these for all three kettles and it leaves only 1 cup of liquid in the bottom. It does not however work without modification to the false bottom when used as a MLT because of the length before the bend hitting the support for the false bottom.

Also, fyi, Tim from Colorado Brewing is welding me a whirlpool arm because the one on their website won't fit a Bru Gear kettle because it's too short, lengthwise because it's made for CoBrewing's kettles. He also mentioned that this is another option:

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/col...products/1-5-tri-clamp-x-1-2-npt-full-coupler

It's basically a coupler with a TC fitting. You can then use any 1/2" NPT pickup tube or whirlpool arm. This is also a great option for those of you that use braids or bazookas. I've never seen anyone else offer this.

Also, fyi, Tim from Colorado Brewing is welding me a whirlpool arm because the one on their website won't fit a Bru Gear kettle because it's too short, lengthwise because it's made for CoBrewing's kettles.

What's he charging you for this?

What's he charging you for this?

He's not charging extra, just the initial $39 for the piece. Apparently CObrew's kettles have TC ports that measure 3/4" from inside to the outside edge. Bru gears is about 1 1/8". It was awesome of him to ask first to check.

He's not charging extra, just the initial $39 for the piece. Apparently CObrew's kettles have TC ports that measure 3/4" from inside to the outside edge. Bru gears is about 1 1/8". It was awesome of him to ask first to check.

Very cool. I'll have to ask him if he can whip up another couple for my kettles too.

Hey martianpc, can you post a pic of your kettle with the cobrewing dip tube installed? I too have a Bru Gear 20 gallon kettle, looked up and inquired about the cobrewing dip tube. Tim responded that the height of the tube is 2" to the center line. But when I measure the center line height of my kettle's ferrule opening, I get 1 1/2". Did you have your tube modified? Perhaps our ferrules are at different positions. Thanks!!

ndinh, did Tim give you what the dimensions are on his standard whirlpool arm?? I was looking to see what the measurement is from the face of the TC to the inside of the elbow. I am looking to get the tube as close to the wall of the kettle as possible.

ndinh, did Tim give you what the dimensions are on his standard whirlpool arm?? I was looking to see what the measurement is from the face of the TC to the inside of the elbow. I am looking to get the tube as close to the wall of the kettle as possible.

No he didn't. All he mentioned was that their TC ports are 3/4" in length and their whirlpool arm curves in just at that length (as you can see in their picture). He welded a longer one to fit the 1 1/8" long TC port of my kettle. I assume it'll have the bend a little over that but not sure how long since I haven't received it yet.

I bought a 30 gallon bru pot from them from the kickstarter campaign and want to electrify it. Anyone add a TC to this kettle? What did it take? I am looking to have it done locally, just wondering what I am facing. A question for the person I have communicated with to do this for me is: "Is the pot annealed?"

Apparently that has a big influence on what i may have to spend to do this.

Maybe this may be a little late but I finally got to use the CoBrewing's custom made whirlpool arm on my Bru Gear kettle and it worked well. It fits perfectly on the inside. It's a bit long on the outside though, as in it sticks out further than my Brewers Hardware dip tube. No biggy for me. I've included pics. Finally, no more hanging the bent copper tube to whirlpool.

0189e8d7399a6192d97ac1fa733f35e36d4e80978d.jpg

016b156600c6842a47d109aa099448672d850e258c_00001.jpg

01fd1fb52fc8f267d8739883b7ede83f77cf7b68b3.jpg

0101f9e4f99ede1fdd9df32e92dd3952865887aebc.jpg

Yes, this is for a 15g kettle. I can give you the exact measurements when I get home, if you need it.

Yes, this is for a 15g kettle. I can give you the exact measurements when I get home, if you need it.

That would be great. I am looking to use it as a pickup tube on a 15 gallon kettle. It looks like it would work perfectly. I want to huge the kettle wall and sit 1/8" or so off the bottom.

That would be great. I am looking to use it as a pickup tube on a 15 gallon kettle. It looks like it would work perfectly. I want to huge the kettle wall and sit 1/8" or so off the bottom.

I tried putting it in as a dip tube and it didn't fit. From the bend, it goes down 1.5". The bottom of the kettle's port to the base looks to be around 1" on my 15g.

If I understand, the bend is too long and it won't point straight down. If that is the case I would think that I could cut the end to get the perfect fit.

If I understand, the bend is too long and it won't point straight down. If that is the case I would think that I could cut the end to get the perfect fit.

Exactly. It hangs down about 1/2" too long. Seems like cutting it would be alot of work for a dip tube but that's just me. Good luck.

Sounds like basically a 30 second job with the angle grinder. I'll take it off your hands for a reasonable price if you don't want it.

I've been having major issues with Bru-Gear on getting their 10 gallon false bottom. Long story short, I ordered three 10 gallon pots and a false bottom from them. I received the 3 pots but no false bottom. I contacted them and they were quick to respond that they are out of stock. No big deal, I was getting ready to go on vacation and didn't need it right away.

A month later I contacted them to get a status update because I haven't heard anything. They responded back quickly again both apologizing and stating they were getting a new order in that week and that I should have one the following week. I never received an e-mail the next week indicating that it was shipped or anything. I contacted them and they said FedEX must have lost my package and that it would be another month before they would receive their next order. I asked for the tracking information so I could try to help resolve the lost package issue on my end but I never received a response which means they absolutely LIED about sending it.

After waiting another month I contacted them and they said they had manufacturing issues and that I would get the first new batch they received. I contacted them with my new address because I moved and never heard anything back from them. Finally I got pissy with them and they responded saying that they would have it sent directly from the manufacturer. This was last week. I just sent them a message today asking for an update.

The order was placed the third week of November and is going on today. Sorry for the long message but I want to alert anyone who may be considering ordering their products. I'm shocked because I've never experienced anything this bad on the internet. I was going to get Blichmann but went with brut-gear because of the prices. I guess I'm getting what I pay for.

I've been having major issues with Bru-Gear on getting their 10 gallon false bottom. Long story short, I ordered three 10 gallon pots and a false bottom from them. I received the 3 pots but no false bottom. I contacted them and they were quick to respond that they are out of stock. No big deal, I was getting ready to go on vacation and didn't need it right away.

A month later I contacted them to get a status update because I haven't heard anything. They responded back quickly again both apologizing and stating they were getting a new order in that week and that I should have one the following week. I never received an e-mail the next week indicating that it was shipped or anything. I contacted them and they said FedEX must have lost my package and that it would be another month before they would receive their next order. I asked for the tracking information so I could try to help resolve the lost package issue on my end but I never received a response which means they absolutely LIED about sending it.

After waiting another month I contacted them and they said they had manufacturing issues and that I would get the first new batch they received. I contacted them with my new address because I moved and never heard anything back from them. Finally I got pissy with them and they responded saying that they would have it sent directly from the manufacturer. This was last week. I just sent them a message today asking for an update.

The order was placed the third week of November and is going on today. Sorry for the long message but I want to alert anyone who may be considering ordering their products. I'm shocked because I've never experienced anything this bad on the internet. I was going to get Blichmann but went with brut-gear because of the prices. I guess I'm getting what I pay for.

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with them, but it seems to be a trend with Bru Gear. My issues went on with them for nearly a year. Once they'd finally fulfilled my order I started going to other manufacturers for the rest of my equipment.

This, and several other stories like this are exactly why I went another direction for my gear. I hope they make things right for you.

So I just want to chime in here and let you guys know that Phil at Bru Gear has had 1 hell of a time getting his False Bottom order done elsewhere. We have been in contact and I have built him a few for him to try. He has placed a fairly substantial order from us and we are shipping his false bottoms out Tuesday (today) or Wednesday. They will be the Jaybird integrated false bottom design and sized exactly to fit his kettles. Phil did place his order with me last week, but I have been running a week or so behind on custom builds at the moment. I think they are having fairly hard growing pains and in business this can cause some real headaches. I am happy to at the very least let you know that his False Bottom problems are about to be over!

Matt18e PM me your Name and address and if you have an order # from Bru Gear, get me that too. I will contact Phil via phone and see if its ok with him if I just send you your false bottom directly from my store. I will make sure it goes out tomorrow if I can. I am happy to help anywhere I can here.

Cheers
Jay

So here's a follow up on a dip tube I purchased for my 10g ProBoiler. I couldn't remember if anyone had posted images of the tube from Brewers Hardware, but mine came in yesterday so I thought I'd share a couple of pictures to show what it looks like installed.

Up close
Higher up

So here's a follow up on a dip tube I purchased for my 10g ProBoiler. I couldn't remember if anyone had posted images of the tube from Brewers Hardware, but mine came in yesterday so I thought I'd share a couple of pictures to show what it looks like installed.

Up close
Higher up

Check out thread #90. I also bought the Brewers Hardware dip tube and it works well regardless of the fact that it has to sit at an angle. It doesn't bother me because it still draws down to about 1/2 gallon. I also bought the COBrewing whirlpool tube and it also works well, just used it last weekend. No more bent copper whirlpool arm.

What are you guys using to recirculate the mash on these kettles? I am looking for a good wort return option.

I'm also looking for a good whirlpool option.

I use the same whirlpool arms mentioned earlier from cobrewingsystems. Tim is very helpful and is very good about promptly responding to emails. proboilers have longer ferrules than cobrewing kettles so he's been lengthening them for us.

I have a plastic aeration spray tip for mash recirculation eventually I'd like to upgrade to something with better dispersion, but it was 3 or 4 bucks and works well enough that I can put that on the back burner.

did some tests heating the water up with an induction plate hooked up to my BCS-460 system...

What induction plate are you using, and is it for HLT and BK? or just HLT? Interested to see if there is an induction plate that can boil 12-14 gallons.

Cheers! :mug:

What induction plate are you using, and is it for HLT and BK? or just HLT? Interested to see if there is an induction plate that can boil 12-14 gallons.

Cheers! :mug:

I am using an Adcraft IND-C120V https://www.katom.com/122-INDC120V.html
It works great with the BCS turning on and off as needed. I haven't tried to use it for boiling. I think you need their 208v model for that https://www.katom.com/122-INDC208V.html

One plus on this induction plate is it has a dial for turning it on/off and decreasing/increasing power. Also, it is built like a tank.

I don't believe you can use their 208v model at home, since home is 240v and commercial isn't.

I am using an Adcraft IND-C120V https://www.katom.com/122-INDC120V.html
It works great with the BCS turning on and off as needed. I haven't tried to use it for boiling. I think you need their 208v model for that https://www.katom.com/122-INDC208V.html

One plus on this induction plate is it has a dial for turning it on/off and decreasing/increasing power. Also, it is built like a tank.

Excellent, thanks for the recommendation. If I use this for my HLT, I'm going to need to modify this coil from Bru Gear. It takes 9 gallons for it to even hit the bottom of the coil.

I looked into some ~3" tri-clamp extension tubes, but they're expensive and it complicates the coil. Maybe I'll see about getting an updated one from Bru-Gear, or find a local welder who can attach it to the wall instead of the lid.

Up close
Higher up

I guess I'm going to go this route. I've been trying to wait patiently on dip tubes and my HERMS coil.

How much father is your ball valve sticking out now? I'm worried about that with the racking tube option.

I've had my kettles 3 months now. Still no word when I'll get the coil. I'm regretting not waiting on everything now. I was over zealous for sure.

Going to get my HERMS coil soon then I'll feel a little better about the purchase.

Gus - I've had my pots for 4 months now and still no herms either.... I ran out of beer so I rigged an old immersion chiller as a herms coil (not the best at maintaining temps) for two batches. It better come soon as my patience has run out.

I use the same whirlpool arms mentioned earlier from cobrewingsystems. Tim is very helpful and is very good about promptly responding to emails. proboilers have longer ferrules than cobrewing kettles so he's been lengthening them for us.

I have a plastic aeration spray tip for mash recirculation eventually I'd like to upgrade to something with better dispersion, but it was 3 or 4 bucks and works well enough that I can put that on the back burner.

I couldn't believe that tim wanted $10 to ship the whirlpool arm. Are there any better options out there? For the price about contemplating just welding something together myself. I do stainless TIG so not a problem there. Looks like the brewershardware stuff works well for a diptube, but people don't like it for whirlpool?

I couldn't believe that tim wanted $10 to ship the whirlpool arm. Are there any better options out there? For the price about contemplating just welding something together myself. I do stainless TIG so not a problem there. Looks like the brewershardware stuff works well for a diptube, but people don't like it for whirlpool?

I bought two whirlpool arms from him as well as two pickup tubes all in a single order. I don't remember what shipping was for all of it, but I don't remember it being unreasonable.

You could use pickup tubes as whirlpool arms I suppose, but you're not going to save that much money in the end and (don't take this personally) companies like cobrewing and brewershardware exist because they fabricate this stuff a hell of a lot better than the average homebrewer can.

I personally am happy to spend good money on good quality. I'll be brewing beer with those pickup tubes and whirlpool arms for the rest of my life.

Hay guys just wanted to chime in and let you all know that Nor Cal Brewing Solutions (AKA ME...LOL) is custom building those Tri Clover dip tubes in 1/2" tube to what ever size and shape you want. We can customize it for you also just depends on what you want. We do have a standard dip tube for the Bru Gear kettle that also works with our False Bottom system, built just for their kettles. We have a full Fabrication department and have built a bunch of these for guys and their Bru Gear kettles. If your interested PM me and I can get you the details on how to order a custom one.

Cheers
Jay

I bought two whirlpool arms from him as well as two pickup tubes all in a single order. I don't remember what shipping was for all of it, but I don't remember it being unreasonable.

You could use pickup tubes as whirlpool arms I suppose, but you're not going to save that much money in the end and (don't take this personally) companies like cobrewing and brewershardware exist because they fabricate this stuff a hell of a lot better than the average homebrewer can.

I personally am happy to spend good money on good quality. I'll be brewing beer with those pickup tubes and whirlpool arms for the rest of my life.

Ha, I am not your average homebrewer... I don't mind quality work and I don't mind paying for it. But when shipping is overpriced then I think that they are making their margin in shipping. Not a fan. I did email them about the shipping charge and I never heard a peep. Oh well I guess. Maybe it was for the best? Jay has a good rep around here so a PM will be off to him shortly.

Hay guys just wanted to chime in and let you all know that Nor Cal Brewing Solutions (AKA ME...LOL) is custom building those Tri Clover dip tubes in 1/2" tube to what ever size and shape you want. We can customize it for you also just depends on what you want. We do have a standard dip tube for the Bru Gear kettle that also works with our False Bottom system, built just for their kettles. We have a full Fabrication department and have built a bunch of these for guys and their Bru Gear kettles. If your interested PM me and I can get you the details on how to order a custom one.

Cheers
Jay

PM incoming!!

I guess I'm going to go this route. I've been trying to wait patiently on dip tubes and my HERMS coil.

How much father is your ball valve sticking out now? I'm worried about that with the racking tube option.

I've had my kettles 3 months now. Still no word when I'll get the coil. I'm regretting not waiting on everything now. I was over zealous for sure.

Going to get my HERMS coil soon then I'll feel a little better about the purchase.

It doesn't stick out more than an additional inch or so, but I'll measure it exactly on Wednesday morning when I brew with it.

Gus - I've had my pots for 4 months now and still no herms either.... I ran out of beer so I rigged an old immersion chiller as a herms coil (not the best at maintaining temps) for two batches. It better come soon as my patience has run out.

I know the feeling. I'm trying to be patient as it's a new company but I have rolled the idea around in my head of selling the kettles and preordering SS Brewing kettles. Their new Mash Tun Kettle is sweet. If they do it in 15 gallon I'll probably still get one of them.

I'm still able to brew with my cooler/10 gallon kettle system but I've bought a table, controller, 2 pumps and all the stuff I needed to build a single tier system. I'm just waiting on Bru Gear to get everything that went with my kettles together.

It doesn't stick out more than an additional inch or so, but I'll measure it exactly on Wednesday morning when I brew with it.

Awesome. I PM'd Jaybird about theirs to see what it would be like. I'm just ready to get to brewing. I won't really be able to use the full effect of the kettles yet without HERMS but I'd like to have pick up tubes so I'm not leaving behind a ton of wart/liquor for sparging.

Any suggestions for us who have the "original" HERMS coil and lid? I've emailed them and I don't think they'll replace it with the new one (basically just longer arms from the lid). It seems like a great coil, but it sits a solid 9-gallons off the bottom (yes I measure distance in gallons now :) ).

I can just use a full 20gal every time and waste all that energy heating it, but in the end for a 10-gal batch it might just be an extra 4-5 gallons. Trouble is once it's down below 12 gallons or so, not much of the coil is immersed, below 9 gallons none of it is immersed. Maybe 1) fill MT with required water, 2) fill HLT to 20-gal. it's a lot of water for a 10-gal batch.

Any suggestions for us who have the "original" HERMS coil and lid? I've emailed them and I don't think they'll replace it with the new one (basically just longer arms from the lid). It seems like a great coil, but it sits a solid 9-gallons off the bottom (yes I measure distance in gallons now :) ).

I can just use a full 20gal every time and waste all that energy heating it, but in the end for a 10-gal batch it might just be an extra 4-5 gallons. Trouble is once it's down below 12 gallons or so, not much of the coil is immersed, below 9 gallons none of it is immersed. Maybe 1) fill MT with required water, 2) fill HLT to 20-gal. it's a lot of water for a 10-gal batch.

I haven't received mine yet, so I'm assuming I'm getting the new one.

How is yours working as far as having the ports on top? Any issues with a pump? I know it shouldn't but just looking for hands on feedback.

Latest posts

Back