NuWave Induction Heating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isuflyguy

Reaction score
Just started doing research on induction heating for my boils since i live in a small apartment. The NuWave "as seen on tv" claims to be great but only has 1300w power. Does anyone with induction heat experience know if this is enough?

I'm just getting into induction myself, and I suppose the 1300w presents some issues:

1) I have heard of people using 1800w induction cookers to do full boil 5 gal batches, but they said that it just barely came to a boil and took a long time to get there. Never done that myself, so don't take it as an absolute.

2) Smaller cookers like that may have a weight limit that you should be concerned about. Maybe not a big deal if you are going smaller boils, but a 10 gallon pot with 6 gallons of wort weighs about 60-65 lbs and may break a smaller unit

3) I have heard of people using an electric "heat stick" to give a boost to kitchen stovetops and possibly smaller induction cookers.

I have been using the Aroma 1500w induction cooker to do 5-gallon batches in a 6.5 brew kettle - extract brewing. It was taking approximately 45 minutes to reach a mild boil. I added reflectix around the outside of the kettle and now it talkes around 40 minutes to reach boil but the boil is much more vigorous.

I'm moving to an all-grain system with a 15 gallon kettle. I'll still be doing 5-gallon batches but I expect the wort to be around 6.5-7 gallons. As such, I bought a Avantco 1800w induction cooker. I'm hoping this cooker will work out OK because I really don't want to put in a 220w outlook and buy a bigger induction cooker.

My plan is to use it doing 2.5-5gal boils in a 10gal kettle. I feel like more power is always better but if i can save $$ im always up for that. I like the idea of the insulator too

The biggest concern I would have would be weight. To make 2.5 gallons of beer you need more than 2.5 gallons of water unless you top off. Can the NuWave handle that weight? That is what you need to find out. Can you boil 5 gallons of water on it? Probably, eventually…not quick. I would recommend an 1800W induction at the least.

Read this:
http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2967-induction-heat

1800W at the minimum, perferrably with the Avantco unit as it's got a supportive chassis capable of dealing with the weight.

I use the 1800W Avantco with a 7gal 2:1 ratio (eg, turkey frier style) pot and can comfortably boil 4gal within a reasonable - eg, normal to me - amount of time. 5gal would take some time, 6gal would be unreasonable - to me.

If you have any thoughts of 5gal AG full boils, spend the extra and jump straight to 220V, 3500W. You can always turn it down, but you can't always turn it up.

I'm considering the NuWave. True, it's only 1600W. True, it's not as beefy looking as some with the SS frames. If I read the specs correctly, the height of the unit is 2.5". Hmmm, that's the thickness of a 2x4. If so, instant support for those bigger pots.. at least on 3 sides. I may have to dado some grooves into the 2x's for ventilation, which these cooktops seem to need based on the fans.

Now, MY purpose is not for boiling.. Rather, I do 2.5-3 G BIAB. I have a very difficult time keeping my mash temps. Even using my insulated cooler M/T, I lose a LOT of temp despite pre-heating the coolers with water that is hotter than my strike temps.

So, I think if I take my pot, wrap it in Reflectix (sp?) I should have no trouble keeping my temps. However, I'm not sure yet.

After writing this, I'm seriously looking into the Avantco IC1800. Looks FAR better built plus 200 more watts. However, if I'm just going to use it to keep a mash temp up.. either works.. This just looks like a more professional / sturdypiece of eqpt.. and only ~$30 more

I'm considering the NuWave. True, it's only 1600W. True, it's not as beefy looking as some with the SS frames. If I read the specs correctly, the height of the unit is 2.5". Hmmm, that's the thickness of a 2x4. If so, instant support for those bigger pots.. at least on 3 sides. I may have to dado some grooves into the 2x's for ventilation, which these cooktops seem to need based on the fans.

Now, MY purpose is not for boiling.. Rather, I do 2.5-3 G BIAB. I have a very difficult time keeping my mash temps. Even using my insulated cooler M/T, I lose a LOT of temp despite pre-heating the coolers with water that is hotter than my strike temps.

So, I think if I take my pot, wrap it in Reflectix (sp?) I should have no trouble keeping my temps. However, I'm not sure yet.

After writing this, I'm seriously looking into the Avantco IC1800. Looks FAR better built plus 200 more watts. However, if I'm just going to use it to keep a mash temp up.. either works.. This just looks like a more professional / sturdypiece of eqpt.. and only ~$30 more

Since you mention BIAB, if your grains are milled fine, conversion is done before you can lose much heat. I only mash 10 to 20 minutes now and even 10 minutes seems like enough. Here's a thread where another user found conversion in only 5 minutes. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/cutting-brew-day-time-time-challenge-487453/

Thanks RM.. I'm sticking with 90 min. I'm sure something happens in that short time.. but, sticking with what I've learned on BIABrewer.. it makes sense to me.

I did NOT get the NuWave based on sturdiness.. Ended up getting the Avantco IC1800 and it worked like a charm with my last brew.

Thanks RM.. I'm sticking with 90 min. I'm sure something happens in that short time.. but, sticking with what I've learned on BIABrewer.. it makes sense to me.

I did NOT get the NuWave based on sturdiness.. Ended up getting the Avantco IC1800 and it worked like a charm with my last brew.

That was a smart move. The only valid reason is this: Never buy anything you see on TV! (or is spamming your side bar).

OK you're not going to get that "handy" carrying case to take your new acquisition to your mother in law's annual summer picnic.

Ha... I guess :) My wife is an excellent seamstress.. She can make me one. But, in reality.. with Calif having gone into No Plastic Bags from grocery stores, the BYOBag industry has gone nuts. I have a ton of them that would work. BUT, I kept the box it came in.. works great. We don't need no steenkin' MIL carrying cases.

BTW, IL.. How did you feel about your Black Butt(e) Porter clone. It is a favorite of mine.. and I'm looking for a good porter to brew. I've seen a clone of Edmond Fitzgerald that sounds good.. but, I've never had it.

Ha... I guess :) My wife is an excellent seamstress.. She can make me one. But, in reality.. with Calif having gone into No Plastic Bags from grocery stores, the BYOBag industry has gone nuts. I have a ton of them that would work. BUT, I kept the box it came in.. works great. We don't need no steenkin' MIL carrying cases.

BTW, IL.. How did you feel about your Black Butt(e) Porter clone. It is a favorite of mine.. and I'm looking for a good porter to brew. I've seen a clone of Edmond Fitzgerald that sounds good.. but, I've never had it.

Mentioning the carrying case was in jest. As in most infomercials, they pay more attention to extra-product qualities, stuff you get for free, and payment schedules than the actual performance of the unit. 1300W is measly, but ever so safe to plug into pretty much any socket (15A circuits are the most common). Not a specialty product by any means. Your IC1800 is a (commercial grade) work horse.

I use my IC3500 for many other things cooking too.

That Black Butte Porter "clone" was awesome. I changed the recipe a bit here and there, and bet it's as yummy as the original I never had. It took 3rd place at our brewclub's Porter competition, but that was against many Robust and a Baltic Porter too which is a tough battle for a Brown Porter in a semi hedonistic judging event.

I haven't tasted E. Fitzgerald either yet, but that would be a really nice one to brew too. There are good recipes of either here on HBT.

I used the Nuwave for my first NOT Mr. beer brew figuring it would help regulate the temp. My conclusion is use the stove for actual boiling but the Nuwave does a great job keeping the correct temp. (I only did 2.5 gallon though)

First all grain. Stirring every 5 minutes with Nuwave set at 160 maintained the temp at 153. vienna/centennial SMaSH 2.5 gallon.

beer2.jpg

Been using a nuwave. Extract brewer so far 3.5 gal boil. Does take awhile to get there but for steeping spec grain is nice as it will maintain a temp. Just always remember to set timer above the 1 hour min. or it will shut off on ya.

Latest posts

Back