some cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druids_keep

Reaction score
i'm working with pasteurized apple cider going for a strong, beerlike sparkling hard apple cider (6-7%alcohol)...

observation: I have come to agree that adding citric acid just seems to make things "right" in the flavor profile - will be adding citric acid in the future

i'm currently using Wyeast 4766 cider yeast "smack packs" (seems to keep more apple taste through fermentation than champagne yeast)...

question one: can i use those "smack packs" on one gallon test batches?

questions two: i notice a some sulphur lingering after the fermentation (i've read this is normal) ... anyone get the same thing? Sweetening and refrigerating definaly help the flavor/nose profile of this issue. Any other ideas on coping with it?

question three: i want to create a sweet sparking cider... i've heard of pasteurizing the beer bottles in the middle of the carbonation to stop it and leave residual sugar - just don't have the means to effectively perform this task ... SO i was thinking of priming as usual and adding splenda to the mix pre priming... any comments on that?

>question one: can i use those "smack packs" on one gallon test batches?

You'd certainly be overpitching. Although you can do it, it is not recommended because the yeast don't go through a complete growth cycle. I am not sure though the implications of this. What you can do is if you have all your test batches lined up, shake the pack and meter it out in rough fifths.

>questions two: i notice a some sulphur lingering after the fermentation (i've read this is normal) ... anyone get the same thing? Sweetening and refrigerating definaly help the flavor/nose profile of this issue. Any other ideas on coping with it?

I always get this during the ferment and it stays a while. It seems to dissipate over time though (by about 3 months iirc)

>question three: i want to create a sweet sparking cider... i've heard of pasteurizing the beer bottles in the middle of the carbonation to stop it and leave residual sugar - just don't have the means to effectively perform this task ... SO i was thinking of priming as usual and adding splenda to the mix pre priming... any comments on that?

I'd personally stay away from Splenda. I just don't like the taste. You can pasteurize, but I have also heard of arresting the fermentation with Campden. I'd probably go that route if it is feasible. I have never had interest to, so I am not sure the details. Yoops and some others can help you though on amounts etc.

Back