hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomas77

Reaction score
What's does everyone think of the hop spider? This is the device where a large nylon hop bag is clamped to a holder that sits atop of the kettle. Hops are placed in the bag instead of straight into the wort. This helps not to have so much trub transferring to the fermenter. I did it for the first time yesterday brewing an ipa with lots of hops. Not bad but when you have hops going in at 'knock out' even if you let them stand for 10-15 minutes you take hop bag out. I feel like it's not getting the right extraction than leaving them in there the whole time. Also it is time consuming squeezing the bag to get all the wort out and cuts back on chilling time. What do you all think?

used mine once for an IPA and just didn't get the utilization that I thought I was supposed to get, so I stopped using it.

maybe it was the hops, recipe or schedule or whatever, but it just didn't turn out the way I wanted it.

maybe I'll use it if I ever go to reusing the yeast cake, but for now, I just don't mind having all that trub in my fermenter. it will still drop out

a pic of mine. super easy

insinkerator flange + small binder clips + small muslin bag

IMG_8083.JPG

Back