how to bottle my sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lestershy

Reaction score
I made an oat stout on 8/09/10 which definitely got infected and got sour mighty quick. I got advice from the LHBS to use potassium metabisulfite to stop the souring, and kill any yeast left in there. I did it and added some cherries to the fermenter and let it sit... until today.
I was surprised at how well it turned out, the cherries come through well and they compliment the slight sour flavor.
The question is, how should I bottle this one? I realize that I have to re-pitch some yeast, but should I let it go and see if it starts fermenting again before trying to bottle it?
Here's the recipe if it matters

5 Gallon
2 lb. 8 oz. American 2-row
9 oz. American crystal 90L
4 oz. American black patent
8 oz. Roasted barley
1 lb. 8 oz. Flaked oats
4 lbs light DME
1/2 lb maltodexterin
1/2 oz magnum at 60

12 oz frozen tart cherries

Did you notice if you got any fermentation when you moved it over to the cherries? They would definitely have added some fermentables, but if you still had a few yeast left hanging on they may have fermented out the cherries. Otherwise, I think you're right that you'll want to repitch and let the yeast hang out for a few days to make sure you ferment out anything the cherries contributed before bottling up with your priming sugar.

On the plus side, it sounds awfully tasty, just gotta figure out how you did it now so you can repeat it :D.

I don't think any fermentation occurred because I had already added the potassium metabisulfite (which essentially becomes a sanitizer at a stronger solution) at that point.
I am worried about the beer drying out too much so I am wondering what type of yeast might be good.

You could add something neutral for the yeast, let it ferment out the sugar from the cherries and then backsweeten with a little lacto to balance it back out.

Otherwise you could add yeast and bottling, wait 4 days into bottle conditioning and then bottle pasteurize to stabilize it in the bottle.

You could add something neutral for the yeast, let it ferment out the sugar from the cherries and then backsweeten with a little lacto to balance it back out.

Otherwise you could add yeast and bottling, wait 4 days into bottle conditioning and then bottle pasteurize to stabilize it in the bottle.

Interesting, what would something neutral be exactly? Would 4 days really be enough to carb the bottles? I usually wait two to three weeks.

Latest posts

Back