Hello from Houston!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tolip_ck1

Reaction score
Just finished my "new" system and brewed my first batch since 2002! Started with an IPA and my sculpture worked well. Minor hiccups and mods required, but I think it will work well. Look forward to learning from the millions of post on the site.

IMG_9664 (Large).jpg

Hello, and welcome - damn, I counted nine valves in that picture! That's a lot of hardware.

I lived in Houston from '64 to '69 (student at Rice) - I have some great memories of that town. It's also where I brewed my first homebrew -what a disaster that was! See here for more details:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/hello-dallas-102090/

From the equipment in your pic, I can see you are already way ahead of me - I just got into this a couple of months ago due to a completely unexpected Christmas gift. Lots of great info. and ideas on this site.

Hello!

What pump are you using there?

It is a 316 Stainless Steel, gear driven pump with a sealess magnetic drive.

The valves in the picture allow me to pump from my HLT, or boil, to any other part of the system. I can sanitize with boiling water through my chiller or send water up to the mash tun. I need the valves as my A/C electric motor is not variable so I use a bypass valve back to the HLT to regulate flow.

I have no pressure loss with any temp, well maybe if my mash tun was 200 feet up I would.

I have a problem with filtering to the pump, I think I can solve that by just using a large steeping bag from now on.

"The Woodlands" For the where in Houston question.

What's the make/model and how much did you give for it? For some reason, we've always got to know all the alternatives to the march 809. ;)

This may sound funny but I don't know. I told my father (engineer) that I wanted a pump, and explained what I needed it to do. This is what showed up. (lucky me) I have had it for 10 years and just started to use it. Something’s I know are that it is seal less, all stainless with special composite gears. and it only has 6 parts not including its 2 housing screws.

I would have no idea where you would get this on a retail market. I will look into it.

Sorry for the lack of answers.

Greetings from the far northwest suburbs of Houston ;) Always nice to see another Texan.

ThanX,

I think I looked through your pics I saw the DeFalcos logo, man that place is great, only problem is that it is a 100 mile round trip for me. I wish we had something up here closer!!

haha yeah its a drive from the woodlands, as for me i'm right in the med center about 5 minutes from defalcos. i still normally order supplies online unless i want it right then and there i'll go to defalcos.

Back