whoo hoo 89.2% eff.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend I made a blonde ale based loosely on BM's centennial blonde. I just used what I had available, and most of it was 'the rest of a bag.' I also didn't have centennial hops so I used challenger. I know they're quite different hops, but I like them both!

I played with my grizzly mill (corona knockoff) adjusting it to find the best grind. Each crush was a half turn more closed. In the center of the pic (#5) is the finest crush I ended up getting. There was a lot of flour in that crush, so I backed off the mill a bit(#4). That's where I'm going to leave it. (pic below, can't FTP to my server right now so it's attached.)

Using the Tasty brew gravity calculator, I get 89.2%! I was really impressed what setting the mill closer could achieve. (I made a batch of Ed's Haus pale ale and didn't really hit any of the numbers-it still made a good beer though!)

the recipe:
2# 2-row
1# Vienna
13 oz. cara pils
8 oz crystal 10L

Mashed 1.5 gal (~1.25q/lb) at 150 for 60. (final mash temp 143. I need a styro lid for my 10 gal rubbermaid)
Batch Sparge with 6.5gal @163 for 30 mins, then vorlauf.

Mash went into the pot at 1.022

75 minute boil. (was shooting for 60 but didn't evaporate enough.)

Hops:
10g Challenger 7.0@70 mins
10g Challenger @60
8g challenger @35

7G Cascade 7.8@15
7G Cascade @0

1# extra light DME to bump up the og to 1.040

chilled and added one packet of S-05.

Should be good for the party next weekend! I'll post a pic of the beer once it gets kegged up.

B

grains_numbers.jpg

what was your FG before the extract? what was your final batch size?

Did you calculate with the DME at the 1.04? or did you calculate before that?

Sounds like a really good % tho, I did a little 2 gal batch at 80.5 and i was stoked about that. How long did your mash temps stay high enough?

what was your FG before the extract? what was your final batch size?

Did you calculate with the DME at the 1.04? or did you calculate before that?

Sounds like a really good % tho, I did a little 2 gal batch at 80.5 and i was stoked about that. How long did your mash temps stay high enough?

Final batch size was a bit over 6 gallons. I put 5.5 in the primary and still had a bit of liquid with the trub. I didn't measure it, I just dumped it.

OG: (all tested using an ATC refractometer)
1.022 into brew pot
1.030 after 70 minute boil
1.040 after DME addition.

I didn't calculate the DME. I checked the gravity after the boil, then dumped in a bunch of DME until it hit 1.040. I measured the bag before and after, and found out it was 1#. Okay, 1lb 1/8oz.

as for the mash temp, I didn't have a thermometer in the tun with the mash. I sparged in with 163* water and hit the original temp dead on at 150. When I opened the cooler to collect the runnings, I checked the temp, and it was 143*. I think once I make the styro lid, I shouldn't lose that much heat.

B

Back