BJCP category for Janet's Brown & an Arrogant Bastard clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
I have an clone of Arrogant Bastard and I'm brewing a batch of Janet's brown ale that I'd like to enter into a competition. What BJCP style would these fall under?

Janet's brown is an american brown ale on the fringe of the guidelines according to brewing classic styles

I did some research and a version of this beer won gold at the NHC as an Imperial Brown Ale in Category 23. RECIPE HERE

The gold medal recipe is a bit higher gravity then the version in Jamil's book. 1.072 SG vs 1.066. So I may just bump mine up to 1.072 and go for Category 23.

I suppose the arrogant bastard clone could also go in Category 23 as an imperial amber. It really doesn't fit any place else.

Arrogant Bastard is listed in the style guidelines for 23 Specialty Beer:

Commercial Examples: Bell’s Rye Stout, Bell’s Eccentric Ale, Samuel Adams Triple Bock and Utopias, Hair of the Dog Adam, Great Alba Scots Pine, Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale, Great Divide Bee Sting Honey Ale, Stoudt’s Honey Double Mai Bock, Rogue Dad’s Little Helper, Rogue Honey Cream Ale, Dogfish Head India Brown Ale, Zum Uerige Sticke and Doppel Sticke Altbier, Yards Brewing Company General Washington Tavern Porter, Rauchenfels Steinbier, Odells 90 Shilling Ale, Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale, Stone Arrogant Bastard

EDIT: doh! But I copied the style guidelines!

Back