need help fast!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mw20

Reaction score
I just f-up bigtime. Doing my first 10 gallon batch. My damn bucket that I was collecting first runnings in fell over, lost about 3 gallons. Can somebody tell how much dme to add to get my numbers right. I guess I need to know how much dme for each point of sg. Thanks!

impossible to say cause the amount of sugars in the first running are not fixed. Best bet is to continue sparging, take a gravity reading preboil, and work the numbers that way. Either that or you're making a pale ale! HAH! Good luck.

It actually is a pale ale. Now extra pale! I'll post as soon as I have some preboil numbers and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Just figure out your gravity points (starting gravity x volume). Then when you measure your preboil gravity multiply by your volume. This will tell how many gravity points you've collected. However many points you are short by just add DME to fill that void. you get 38-40 points per pound of DME.

I just got up to preboil volume and according to beersmith, I'm right where I should be. I'm not sure I trust the numbers but maybe I got lucky and had better efficiency than usual.

This beer is going to be extremely light. My number preboil were dead on with beersmith. After boil I'm at 1.036 should be at 1.053. WTF!

can you add some grain to the mash & re-mash for a little while, then start the sparge over?

ask in chat too.

It's already been boiled and is now in the carboys. I just can't figure out how my preboil and post boil numbers were so off.

Make all the UVA jokes you want, I dropped out of VCU after 2 semesters. But that was 20 years ago so screw it.

Yeah man, that would be cool. PM me when your gonna be around. If you're gonna be in Farmville, I can bring my boat and we could hit Briery Creek lake, freakin' huge bass!

Back